Thread: Super Springer

Super Springer

Just a short write up for those of us mad enough to have a ESS as a gun/deer dog and companion!

I am lucky to have a very calm, biddable and thoroughly enjoyable 2yr old Springer who from 3 months old has stalked across moor and bog, heath and marsh, hay and crops and spent many an hour watching the world go by from the bottom of a high seat. She is a "utility" dog! A soft bundle of fun for the children on the settee curled up in front of the telly, a patient and trusty companion when waiting for fallow and sika and a wonderful peg dog when pheasants are flying and falling.

Took her out the other night on a patch of mine where fallow are regular visitors. We did the usual loop around the fields and copses, ending up in a recently cut barley field bounded 3 sides by mature woodland....fallow heaven! On cue, just at dusk, a solid looking black pricket mooched out of the wood and casually started browsing along the headland about 160m away from me. The light was falling and the age old stalking dilemma played out as the angel on one shoulder argued with the devil on the other. The little horned one, won and the hard "twump" of a 95 grain bullet hitting the engine room of the fallow echoed across the barley field.

The fallow took a couple of staggering steps, turned 90 degrees and disappeared in the gathering gloom of the dense woodland.....

"B*gger!"

Not to be perturbed ....I quickly strode to the spot where the deer had disappeared into the wood and with an encouraging "Go seek....Where is it?" sent Super Springer on her way.

A Bavarian she is not and as she turned right, criss crossed, snuffled and quartered along a well worn track, a waggy undocked spaniel tail disappeared into the bracken and dense woodland cover as she followed the unseen scent. The woods became darker and darker and after following her for 200-300m she finally turned around and trotted back along the track completely disinterested.

"Double B*gger!"

We retraced our steps back to the last known spot where I had seen the fallow struck and again encouraged the little lady to "Go seek....."

This time she suddenly turned left and with a super sensitive Springers nose started in the opposite direction to where we had been.....

Deeper and deeper, darker and darker, into dense Dorset woodland. Dusk had almost become night and with a torch beam following the white & liver tail, onwards into the gloom we struggled.

Just when all seemed lost and the excuses were being prepared for the Good Lady as to why we were so late home, there came an uncharacteristic bark and growl. Quickly chasing her up, there was my little lady standing proudly staring at a very big, very dead, and very hidden in the bracken and bramble, fallow pricket!

A big fuss and plenty of praise was lavished on the proud Spaniel and after a sweat inducing drag back to the edge of the field, a swift gralloch yielded some choice liver, heart and kidney treats for the little dog!

She's not the best tracker you'll ever see, she cant compete with the Bavarians but that night she certainly saved a beast that I may otherwise have lost. She is great fun and a wonderful shooting & stalking companion!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0638.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	563.8 KB 
ID:	60793
    Last edited by Dorsettaff; 04-09-2015 at 22:13.

better to have any dog than no dog.
    my old springer will go seek.

Nice write up, I am sure my cocker would track a Muntjac as he is always around them when I bring them home.

Not sure if I would take him out to look for one as I saw the photo of a lab who fell foul of a wounded MJ Buck! 600.00 vet bill...

Good honest write up and nice picture....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Good write-up, GOOD dog :-)

When she was much younger we started my Jack Russell at the point that a young red stag had been struck (we could see it up the rise, down and still, about 50 yards away) and off she went ... for hundreds of yards in the wrong direction. Even bringing her back to start again with a judicious nudge the right way made no difference.

She's always been known as a Dear Dog. But a Deer Dog she ain't!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0577.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	60801
    Last edited by Old-YOP; 04-09-2015 at 13:43.

The wifes Jack russell gave chase to one, it stopped at a road, he ran in the back of it, looked up and came back,
    never bothered one since,

Nice write up mate, makes it all the more rewarding after a little struggle.

Nice one.

I had to say goodbye for the last time to one of my 'shooting mates' a couple of months ago. We had him at 8 wks and said goodbye just before he was 16. A bloody good innings. I still have his son. Who is 15 now and I think I will be saying goodbye again soon. I love springers.

Enjoy and remember these days mate. They are the ones that stick in the memory.

Still working on the missus to get a new addition to the family.

ATB

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint View Post
    Nice one.

I had to say goodbye for the last time to one of my 'shooting mates' a couple of months ago. We had him at 8 wks and said goodbye just before he was 16. A bloody good innings. I still have his son. Who is 15 now and I think I will be saying goodbye again soon. I love springers.

Enjoy and remember these days mate. They are the ones that stick in the memory.

Still working on the missus to get a new addition to the family.

ATB

Jon
    ......you know I'm fully with you on this one mate.....; shall I 'casually' drop it into conversation at some point next weekend??

Brock and Stanley are idiots in their own right (especially Brock ), but spaniels have a different degree of lunacy about them!! (....and my old ESS, unfortunately no longer with us, was son of one of Jon's spaniels and brother to the other.....)
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

:-) :-)

you know what the answer will be mate.
    Catch you next weekend