Thread: Some potential light at the end of the Tunnel

Some potential light at the end of the Tunnel

Just reading the latest BASC Magazine. In the Northern Ireland section it looks as if the PSNI has agreed to a format for licensing whereby rifles are put into various classes according to size / usage etc. And if you want to change a rifle you can simply take it to a RFD and exchange for something else in the same class. So if you want to change say a 308 for a 7mm-08 or a 270 it should be simple. You will be licensed to hold a rifle / rifles of each class etc.

Just maybe some sense is being seen at last, and the rest of the UK will follow suit, but not holding my breath.

Yes Heym some sense at last but the licensing system in N.I. is different to the rest of the U.K. and did you also read about the increase in fees that goes with this?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Yes Heym some sense at last but the licensing system in N.I. is different to the rest of the U.K. and did you also read about the increase in fees that goes with this?
    appreciate both points - but if a lot of unnecessary ............ is removed then all for the better. At the end of the day, whilst we as deer stalkers can appreciate the subtle differences between say a Heym SR20 in 243 and a Sako in 7mm-08 most of the police and the general public don't. What they want to, and to my view need to be concerned with is that rifles are only held by responsible people.

Remove a layer of bureaucracy and hopefully the Police can turn their attention on those who legally hold firearms but are helping themselves to deer all over the place. I regularly walk my dog through the nature reserve that adjoins on of my permissions. over the last couple of years we have found several gralloch's and spent rifle cartridge cases. The reserve has confirmed nobody has permission to stalk there, they have reported the poaching to the police and yet no action is taken.

It always struck me as daft that you have to apply for a 1 4 1. The system should be simplified if you have a ticket for a 223 you should be able to have the ability to swap it for any 22 centerfire the same with 30 Cal's or 6 mm why waste a feo's time just to tick a box, with cut backs and licence fee increase we should demand a more sensible approach

Regular Poster
    I did mention this to my FEO but he said something about needing to trace all the firearms, although why the RFDs can't be entrusted to do this, I don't know. I guess the system is too antiquated to cope?

The system is there to monitor sales online from RFDs already, it's about some police forces wanting to make the law not enforce it. It has surprised me how we have slipped slowly towards a police state, where certain chief constables and in the case of Hampshire certain members of the firearms dept, feel they are there to interpret the
    law only as they see it.
    This is not attacking the work of the average policeman or civilian workers who do a fine job, but the politically orientated higher ranks.

From what I have read elsewhere I understand that it would require significant changes to the existing legislation to introduce a system similar to that being introduced in N.I. in mainland U.K.
    I also understand that RFDs in N.I. need to undertake some form of training and provide certain link equipment before they can join the new scheme so perhaps those unwilling to do so would not be part of the old system?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post
    I did mention this to my FEO but he said something about needing to trace all the firearms, although why the RFDs can't be entrusted to do this, I don't know. I guess the system is too antiquated to cope?
    Don't see the FEO's logic on this, The current SGC system managed to trace all shotguns - as I know when my firearms dept fail to register a transfer and I had the police at my door 12 month later when some else tried to register another transfer when it was sold again. Fortunatly I had an e-mail trail to prove I had notified correctly.

Regular Poster
    He's an FEO and does a pretty good job - he doesn't make the rules. He had a printout of all the guns I own (which I'd notified by e-mail) and I double checked it to make sure all of my guns were on there.

I do think it would make things far easier if they gave you slots for "rimfire", ".22 CF", "Fullbore (>.22 CF)" so you could pick and choose one of the seemingly infinite calibres out there after getting the licence