Thread: From beyond the Sea, to the East!

From beyond the Sea, to the East!

Brit living/working/shooting in Switzerland

Been target shooting a while, but thinking that I'd like to take a walk on the wild side
    and try hunting. Hunting in Switzerland is probably going to be an expensive experience,
    So I think I'll try popping back to the UK, to do it.

The rifle I'm currently shooting is also a bit of an odd ball, its a Accuracy International Rifle, from before the Artic Warfare came about! its also chambered in 7.5x55 Swiss. Closest match is probably 30.06. So I'm sure to ask questions related to reloading for hunting in this odd calibre.

Laws are very different over here, less restrictions on the types and quantity of ammo held.
    And luckily I think I have a large volume of options, but being Switzerland the cost can be quite a bit higher .

Catch you guys on the forum later.

Dioxin.

Rifle: Accuracy International Coopermatch, Swiss Master
    Caliber: 7.5 x 55 Swiss
    Scope: Steiner Military 5-25x56 MSR

Welcome to the forum Dioxin,
    If you become a swiss citizen will they give you a shiney new Sig assault rifle and all the ammo you can shoot?

Ian.

Unfortunately not, for a mere 2,000 I can buy my own though! (I've got a permit to purchase a semi-auto but can't justify it)
    and the military ammo is subsidised, match grade 5.56 and 7.5x55 for 35 pence each.
    I shoot the military programme and do well, but I'm too old for compulsory service aged 34 ;-p
    My daughter may be eligible in 18-20 years though.

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by Dioxin View Post
    Brit living/working/shooting in Switzerland

Been target shooting a while, but thinking that I'd like to take a walk on the wild side
    and try hunting. Hunting in Switzerland is probably going to be an expensive experience,
    So I think I'll try popping back to the UK, to do it.

The rifle I'm currently shooting is also a bit of an odd ball, its a Accuracy International Rifle, from before the Artic Warfare came about! its also chambered in 7.5x55 Swiss. Closest match is probably 30.06. So I'm sure to ask questions related to reloading for hunting in this odd calibre.

Laws are very different over here, less restrictions on the types and quantity of ammo held.
    And luckily I think I have a large volume of options, but being Switzerland the cost can be quite a bit higher .

Catch you guys on the forum later.

Dioxin.

Rifle: Accuracy International Coopermatch, Swiss Master
    Caliber: 7.5 x 55 Swiss
    Scope: Steiner Military 5-25x56 MSR
    welcome to the site, 7.5x55 is a very good calibre, and you should have access to lots of subsidised GP11 for target shooting and practise, there should also be hunting ammunition available off the shelf for it in Switzerland, if not then you can reload using standard .308 expanding bullets, any .308 powder will work in the cartridge, and loads are available from many sources, Muir of this parish is a mine of info on this calibre
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    welcome to the site, 7.5x55 is a very good calibre, and you should have access to lots of subsidised GP11 for target shooting and practise, there should also be hunting ammunition available off the shelf for it in Switzerland, if not then you can reload using standard .308 expanding bullets, any .308 powder will work in the cartridge, and loads are available from many sources, Muir of this parish is a mine of info on this calibre
    I'm already reloading 7.5x55, using the military Berdan primed brass got tons of it! So far I've been reloading for long range shooting, I'll be going out to 1000m+ in November.

Just to quickly compare costs, Gp11 Match-grade ammo is 35 pence a round, Norma Oryx hunting rounds are 3.50 .... so yeah I'll be reloading for hunting

Ha! I use the gp11 for 1000yds and reload for shorter ranges using PPU cases
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    Ha! I use the gp11 for 1000yds and reload for shorter ranges using PPU cases
    PPU fail to extract for my rifle. I could use GP11 out to 1000m but I get half the group size with my reloads, and the bullet I'm using has a higher BC which give it greater range.
    (Its being fired at the same velocity)

I find reloading the GP11 brass isnt too hard, but you need availability for the primers and good tools to remove the old one. I'm using a hydraulic press for that.