Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checklist on receipt of new FAC

Question Checklist on receipt of new FAC

Now that I'm finally expecting the imminent arrival of my FAC (approaching 7 months and since application...) is there a simple checklist I should apply to make sure it's conditioned correctly?

Read several threads of late that raise all sorts of questions about inclusions/exclusions or subtle wording that could potentially have serious legal implications. Not folk being intentionally naughty but where what actually makes it onto the FAC might not actually cover the intended (and actual) use.

I've applied for .22lr and .308; good reason being deer for the CF and vermin plus practise for the rimfire; ammo limits for each agreed with FEO at home visit; moderator for each cal.

Never having seen a FAC before I'm not sure how complex a document it is but there seem to be plenty examples where local differences in how (or if!) the HO guidelines are applied can cause issues. The debate in the associated threads makes me think it's not crystal clear for many more experienced shooters so not sure what chance a new holder has...

So, when it lands what should I be double-checking (besides the obvious presence of the requested rifles/mods and mention of deer somewhere!). I should say this is coming from Police Scotland (Motherwell handled the enquiry).

Cheers,

Andy

Check,
    your details are correct (name, address etc)
    rifles to be acquired are as requested
    moderators to be acquired are as requested
    ammo allowance is as expected
    expanding ammo allowance is also as expected
    deer rifle is conditioned to be used for deer stalking (&aolq?)
    .22 is conditioned for vermin & ground game
    both rifles are conditioned for zeroing on approved land, ranges or land which you have permission to shoot.

are you expecting open or closed ticket?

And the old chestnut,..... make sure the box for the chief officer's signature, or their representative has been filled in!!.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

AOLQ should be there if they follow the guidelines...

I asked the FEO about that but he was a bit vague at the meeting and to be fair his interest was only assessing the good reason element which was deer stalking.

No idea what to expect regarding open/closed land condition.

Police Scotland specify the all lawful quarry condition on firearm certificates in line with HO guidelines.

Make sure it says ALL SPECIES OF DEER to keep yourself right

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    Surely 'Deer' by definition covers all species of deer?

Also, remember to sign it, it is after all a legal document that requires your signature......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    I have never heard of anyone ever having 'all species of deer' listed on a license. Seriously, telling the chap that is likely to get him in really good terms with his department, they'll think he's a right timewaster. If he's asked for it to be conditioned for deer, 'deer' is what it will be conditioned for.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink