Thread: nv illuminators

nv illuminators

Just a question regarding nv illuminators which i don,t know a lot about,are ir torches safer to use than the ir lasers, with all the different powers i find it 810nm,850nm,940nm confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby18 View Post
    Just a question regarding nv illuminators which i don,t know a lot about,are ir torches safer to use than the ir lasers, with all the different powers i find it 810nm,850nm,940nm confusing.
    Lasers are more powerfull and can be dangerous but so can the IR torches IR light will damage your eyes just as badly as powerful White light ones you just cant see the beam

IR torches generally give a cleaner light

the numbers are wave length not power so in a way the colour 850 nm is what most IR torches are used at this is also the best wavelength for CCTV cameras on Digital NVDs to be able to pick up 940nm is also common and you get virtually no visible spectrum light out the Torch head (850 glows like a cigarette end) But is a lot harder for the CCtv cameras to pick up for the same power Bulb it appears only 25% as bright

So does that mean all nightvision users are taking a gamble with their eyesight by using the ir.

Some are eyesafe, yet some are not, simple just don't go shinning it in your eye's

Got it that you don,t shine it in your eyes, but what happens if you got nv and ir on and you get a reflection back through the scope can that damage your eyes.

Happened many a time to me and still here to tell the tale. If you look into beam long enough then i would say you are gonna do some eye damage, but a flash back never done me any harm. I try not to let it happen as doing this can mess up tubed gear very quick. Ir only use what is needed don't go throwing sheds load of ir if you don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby18 View Post
    Got it that you don,t shine it in your eyes, but what happens if you got nv and ir on and you get a reflection back through the scope can that damage your eyes.

think of it as a Very bright white torch in fact some are that bright in white main issue is close up shining directly at your eyes for prolonged time

Reflection of the IR is what you use to see and its not going to be in your eyes its into a camera that then translates it to a viewing screen which wont harm you same way you can watc ha film of some one arc welding with no damage that would occur in Real life

most problems are people turn on an IR light and cant tell its on by eye so stare into the lens where you will see a red glow of the visible light put out (less with 940nm IR) your eyes dont pick up the light so dont Contract the iris or blink

What are you trying to do? For rabbits and foxes I have a night master 800 turned down with photon on either 22 and 243 plus pulsar x870 spotter with night master 400. Works a treat.