Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snares

Snares

out of interst how many have there snaring ticket and use snares on the shoot?

I don't have the ticket, at the moment I don't use snares. If that changes I wouldn't hesitate to get the ticket and start snaring again

Think it's just for the scots lads not required in England YET .

Aye norma's right, basically a code of practice u have to follow and do a course to say u know the best practice.
    All snares have to be tagged with ur own ID number

Got my ticket but don't use them that much, know a few other keepers who have been put of after doing the course bit more red tape etc, plus most of the old 'runs' where u always used to catch them it would now be illegal to set snares there, fences alongside ditches etc incase the fox gets hurt as snares are now non lethal.

I simply cannot support the use of snares. Even if checked twice per day - 11.5 hours trapped by your neck is not a humane thing to do to an animal in 2015.

I think it would reflect in a very positive light if the shooting community stood up against their use.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

If you don't like them its fine but its a tool used by a lot of people who I doubt would agree with you

I know that. That doesn't mean they are acceptable or necessary any more.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I know that. That doesn't mean they are acceptable or necessary any more.
    Well what do you propose as an alternative if they're no longer necessary?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Well what do you propose as an alternative if they're no longer necessary?

Novice
    There are plenty of alternatives. Whether they're better is a different argument. That said, I'm rather inclined to agree with Apache regarding the humane thing. A bullet between the eyes is the most human without a doubt. After that it's inhumane at various levels from almost instant death down to 11:30hrs tethered to a stake!