Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new DIY high seat

Regular Poster

My new DIY high seat

I have permission to shoot in the woods next door to my land but with the crunchy ground & tall bracken, it's difficult to stalk anything so I built a high seat from 4x2. Cost about 65 in materials, used 9 bits of 3.6m lengths plus some M12 bolts/studding and some decking screws (Timberlok type)

I need to cut off some protruding screws that have come through but having been up here all afternoon with the HMR it's very stable & solid feeling. Shot a magpie and currently waiting for a squirrel that has run past twice now...

V nice get a lick of jollop on it unless its tanalized as it soon goes wrotten mate paint mine with a spray gun quicker !
    Norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    V nice get a lick of jollop on it unless its tanalized as it soon goes wrotten mate paint mine with a spray gun quicker !
    Norma
    Just the job.

Regarding the painting, for things with straight flat rails I have found that the 30mm radiator rollers are the most efficient…no waste through overspray, and no time spent cleaning the gun…just chuck the roller head in the bin.

Alan

Hi spandit, looks very good similar Design to the ones we use, hope you have a lot of action from it cheers Geoff

Regular Poster
    Hoping to see yours sometime, Geoff, just have to find a day.

It is tanalised but I might paint it anyway as a bit stark. I can just lift it by myself onto the trailer and the Suzuki tows it fine

Nice job mate
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Nice job there robin

Not a criticism just an observation and passing on a tip which I wish I had been given before I learnt the hard way.
    As the ladder rungs appear to be quite wide, make sure you climb with your feet nearest the riser.
    If you place your size 10 in the middle of the rung you may end up breaking it.
    If you intend leaving the ally ladder there please ignore my ramblings.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Not a criticism just an observation and passing on a tip which I wish I had been given before I learnt the hard way.
    As the ladder rungs appear to be quite wide, make sure you climb with your feet nearest the riser.
    If you place your size 10 in the middle of the rung you may end up breaking it.
    If you intend leaving the ally ladder there please ignore my ramblings.
    For added safety you can nail fencing wire along the rungs so if it does snap the wire will stop you falling right off.

Regular Poster
    Ladder was there purely to help put it up and get it level. I'll make sure I stick to the sides although it's pretty stout timber with 2 big screws at each end.

I'll think about the wire