My new DIY high seat

spandit

I have permission to shoot in the woods next door to my land but with the crunchy ground & tall bracken, it's difficult to stalk anything so I built a high seat from 4x2. Cost about £65 in materials, used 9 bits of 3.6m lengths plus some M12 bolts/studding and some decking screws (Timberlok type)

7EC7E559-1CE5-43BA-93C2-0819E9715BE7.jpg

I need to cut off some protruding screws that have come through but having been up here all afternoon with the HMR it's very stable & solid feeling. Shot a magpie and currently waiting for a squirrel that has run past twice now...

V nice get a lick of jollop on it unless its tanalized as it soon goes wrotten mate paint mine with a spray gun quicker !
Norma

V nice get a lick of jollop on it unless its tanalized as it soon goes wrotten mate paint mine with a spray gun quicker !
Norma

Just the job.

Regarding the painting, for things with straight flat rails I have found that the Ø30mm radiator rollers are the most efficient…no waste through overspray, and no time spent cleaning the gun…just chuck the roller head in the bin.

Alan

Hi spandit, looks very good similar Design to the ones we use, hope you have a lot of action from it cheers Geoff

Hoping to see yours sometime, Geoff, just have to find a day.

It is tanalised but I might paint it anyway as a bit stark. I can just lift it by myself onto the trailer and the Suzuki tows it fine :)

Not a criticism just an observation and passing on a tip which I wish I had been given before I learnt the hard way.
As the ladder rungs appear to be quite wide, make sure you climb with your feet nearest the riser.
If you place your size 10 in the middle of the rung you may end up breaking it.
If you intend leaving the ally ladder there please ignore my ramblings.

Not a criticism just an observation and passing on a tip which I wish I had been given before I learnt the hard way.
As the ladder rungs appear to be quite wide, make sure you climb with your feet nearest the riser.
If you place your size 10 in the middle of the rung you may end up breaking it.
If you intend leaving the ally ladder there please ignore my ramblings.

For added safety you can nail fencing wire along the rungs so if it does snap the wire will stop you falling right off.

Ladder was there purely to help put it up and get it level. I'll make sure I stick to the sides although it's pretty stout timber with 2 big screws at each end.

I'll think about the wire

Camouflage net arrived today, I think it's the perfect illusion!

FE505014-7134-4DFD-AD58-38797E69D8F4.jpg

the whole thing has skewed so I need to fit some more bracing...

Just another bit of advice Spandit. The straps you are using only have a very limited life expectancy. Once they get wet and are exposed to the English climate you could be faced with them snapping whilst you are in the high seat - not good for the shape of your rifle:eek:.

Your best bet would be some galvanised chain link attaching it to both sides of the high seat and around the tree and tightened with a tensioner such as one of these used with a couple of D locks

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/eliza-tinsley-10mm-bzp-fencing-barrel-strainer

I have made loads of these wooden seats and from trial and error made the ladder no more than 20" wide with the treads morterised into the main timbers, with tension wire behind as backup, DSC_0022.jpg

Also the rifle rest at least 6" wide to give a good steady platform to shoot off. Plus a hook at one end of the seat so that you can safely secure the (unloaded) rifle with sling before you climb into the seat.

WP_20150410_002.jpg

Here you go Spandit, you can see in the photo how I have braced mine. It hasn't moved at all. Just needed to tighten the screws up after a few months as the wood shrank a bit. I got a bit over enthusiastic with the size though, it does a great job and I can see for miles, but not sure I need to build the next one that big.

Thanks, chaps. I will be taking it down next week to paint and brace. I also want to fit a better place to attach straps to etc.

Like the idea of the rifle hook although have already fitted rowlocks to the rifle rest so have somewhere secure to put the rifle once I'm up there (they can also swivel thus doubling as a gun turret:D)

Will look into wire bracing too, thanks

Just another bit of advice Spandit. The straps you are using only have a very limited life expectancy. Once they get wet and are exposed to the English climate you could be faced with them snapping whilst you are in the high seat - not good for the shape of your rifle:eek:.

Your best bet would be some galvanised chain link attaching it to both sides of the high seat and around the tree and tightened with a tensioner such as one of these used with a couple of D locks

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/eliza-tinsley-10mm-bzp-fencing-barrel-strainer

I have made loads of these wooden seats and from trial and error made the ladder no more than 20" wide with the treads morterised into the main timbers, with tension wire behind as backup, View attachment 61026

Also the rifle rest at least 6" wide to give a good steady platform to shoot off. Plus a hook at one end of the seat so that you can safely secure the (unloaded) rifle with sling before you climb into the seat.
Thats very tidy Peter. I might just plagiarise your design if you don't mind.

H H I do have detailed plans as I was (once) selling them if you care to pm me I will gladly send you the spec etc. I can build these for around £30 tops.

I also do them with canopies for those frequent wet days.

Back