Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ducks- non lead shot

Ducks- non lead shot

Just a quick question regarding duck shooting as I have not done it for many many years! Do we have to use non lead shot whenever shooting wildfowl or is it just when they are over wetlands? If so what counts as wetlands?
    sorry about the stupid question!

You can't use lead unfortunately, unless (I think) you head north to Scotland, but then you mustn't be shooting over wetlands.

Lead and Non-Lead Shot | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation
    Last edited by Oh6; 05-09-2015 at 21:05.

Sadly (for both us and the ducks), you have to use non toxic shot in England. I found Heavi shot to be the best, but no longer available. After trying a few alternatives, I now use Eley Lightning steel. It's fast, so more effective than standard steel. I rate the Lightning as good if not better than Bismuth. Crazy situation though.
    best of luck, R.

Justcartridges still list Hevi-shot.

In Eng the non toxic shot is species dependant ie non lead for ducks wot ever ground ur on so can shoot pheasants in same drive with lead.

In scotland it's area dependant, so both ducks and pheasants should be shot with non toxic if over a 'wetland' area but both can be shot with lead over a non wetland area

Thanks for the replies, that has cleared the mist for me!

I used RC Steel last season to great effect. 36 grams of #1 seems to do the trick. They are very quick.
    So much to learn and so little time left

I use 32grm game bore steel. Does the job

Gosh, an orthopod asking a question.......

Trouble being an anesthetist never gives a straight answer.

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    In Eng the non toxic shot is species dependant ie non lead for ducks wot ever ground ur on so can shoot pheasants in same drive with lead.

In scotland it's area dependant, so both ducks and pheasants should be shot with non toxic if over a 'wetland' area but both can be shot with lead over a non wetland area
    for once the Scots got it right.