Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rowlocks!

Regular Poster

Rowlocks!

Was thinking of safer ways to hold my rifle when up in my high seat waiting for quarry to come out (I've been revising for something too so have my iPad up there). Thought about getting a pair of rowlocks which, with a bit of padding, should make a secure mount. I could also mount a couple to the rail for swivelling support. Should save balancing an expensive rifle on my knees a thing of the past should I want to, say, pour hot tea from a flask...

bronze or iron rowlocks are not silent we can hear a row boat on a still evening a long way out at sea , muffled rowlocks and all that ,a plastic pr is your best bet

There is a man in Aberdeen in a wheelchair who has adapted some sort of clamp/grip system to hold his shotgun in between clay shooting stands. Works very well. I'll have a look and see what they are.

Have a look at the rifle grips you can get to attach to quad bikes. Would be perfect.

I'm trying to design a fore/aft plank that I can secure on my right hand side to enable me to have bench rest type accuracy rather than just the slightly wobbly front rest that makes a 150 yd shot a bit dodgy.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Ever since tree stands became a popular form of hunting whitetail deer, there are all kinds of gadgets to hook to the tree t hold your bow or rifle. I don't know if you can order them there, but look in Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop online at the treestand accesssories.

Regular Poster
    I'm still tempted to get some sturdy rowlocks and cover them in rubber for cushioning and grip but could just get a couple of these to hold the gun to one side:

Tool Hooks Red 100mm Pack of 2 | Storage Hooks | Screwfix.com

The ATV style ones are designed to stop guns falling out of a shaking, moving vehicle, whereas my high seat is relatively stable

Regular Poster
    Well, I did it:

They both swivel too as planned and double up as hooks for putting the rifle on when I'm climbing up

Here you go.

Topper Gooseneck And Sleeve - Spar Fittings - Topper Catalogue - Dinghy Class Specific Parts

These were originally designed as rowlocks but are mainly now used to attach the boom to the mast on Topper Dinghies.

Regular Poster
    Mine were about 7 the pair and they're galvanised steel. The rubber tube was free. They work pretty well...

Be careful that your iPad doesn't light you up like a Christmas Tree in failing light or the gloom of a tree canopy. It will also ruin your dark adaptation at this time too.
    I know it seems like lost time to be waiting doing nothing and with an exam looming it seems like a good idea to revise. However in reality you are tuning in to your environment (both quarry AND risks such as that unexpected person) which you can't do if your head is down looking at tech.

Even though the use of a high seat is lurking rather than stalking you are still conducting an ambush.