Best way to get to Inverness?

A Guy Out West

What's the cheapest way to get to Inverness from the US? Every time I try to figure a round trip from Oregon, it ends up being around as much as trip to Joburg. Wondering if flying to London and then connecting would be the best. Any ideas???

Try flights through London. You may find good flights to Glasgow. A friend has just booked really cheap flights from Glasgow to Seattle. Glasgow is about just over 3 hours by train from Inverness.

If you can get to Amsterdam cheaply, there are connecting flights to Aberdeen, which is only 110miles East of Inverness.

t all depends on the time of year you're planning on coming over.

Last edited:
There is also flights direct to Inverness from Amsterdam. London Gatwick and London Luton both have flights to Inverness as does Birmingham.

I have clients from the USA eastern shore this year, and have dealt with many American clients over more years than I care to remember.
There are several ways to get to Inverness from the USA.

Fly direct to London.............. Most USA flights land at Heathrow, but Gatwick is also used. Take an Easy jet, Flyb, BA to Inverness. All take firearms. RYAN air does not allow weapons, but as fare as I know does not service Inverness.

Fly into Edinburgh ...............its been a few years since I collected clients from this airport, but it might be worth looking into this option, and again taking the train up to Inverness.

Fly direct to Glasgow..............Take the train to Inverness, brings you right into the city centre. Pick up is fairly easy but the entrance on the high street is pretty limited for waiting. Train journey is about 3 hours.

If you are carrying firearms you will need your British Visitors Firearms permit, this must be signed by you and shown to customs on arrival in the U.K. You will also need to show this on departure from the U.K. Who ever you are hunting with should sponsor you and arrange this for you. Cost is now £20 per individual, or £100 for 4 licences and over.

Hope this helps.

I fly to London, british midlands to Glasgow. Pick up a hire car and straight up lochside.

Two thoughts

when I went last fall I traveled to Glasgow and then hired a car and drove up. Driving in Scotland is a pleasure, decent roads, well behaved drivers, and miles between each round about.

On my next trip over I am probably going into Dublin - seems AerLingus can run some super cheap flights direct from Chicago to Dublin, and there is always a cheap flight from just about anywhere in the US to ORD. Then use easy jet, Ryanair or on of the others to get over to Scotland.

just checked using skyscanner - AerLingus Portland to Dublin $950 - 1 stop in Chicago. BTW, Chicago has a really easy USFWS and Ag for trophy import.

Last edited:
Exchange visit Coot!! I'll gladly head to Oregon for the remainder of elk bow season, if you're on your way over here :D

No, both Curtis and his brother Scott, plus hopefully 2 other guys are back over to the highlands with me again next year. Cant understand what the fascination is for the area myself :D

Two thoughts

when I went last fall I traveled to Glasgow and then hired a car and drove up. Driving in Scotland is a pleasure, decent roads, well behaved drivers, and miles between each round about.

well your roads and drivers must be terrible!

roads round here are like farm tracks and the people driving usually forget what indicators/turn signal are for and drive like they own the bloody road!

roads round here are like farm tracks and the people driving usually forget what indicators/turn signal are for and drive like they own the bloody road!

Ha Ha! Too true. My occasional two or three times annually trips from the north of England to Blair Atholl 35 miles north of Perth always saw the scariest driving on the A9 Perth to Pitlochry section especially if it coincided with evening Perth commute time. Audi A6 and Range Rover drivers undertaking near suicidal overtakes on the last 10 yards of the dualled sections kicking up a storm of gravel and dust is an abiding memory, especially if the culprits then braked a mere mile or so down the road to turn off the A9 into a local minor road or house approach.

I presume that all of the single carriageway sections from Perth to Inverness are now subject to the dreaded average speed cameras now? (The system was being tested the last time I drove to Blair.)

Actually that was a reference to your roads. My experience driving in the south of England was any gear above 3 was wasted. About the time I would begin to think about 4th, here came another roundabout. I have traveled and driven around the world, but almost exclusively in Right side driving countries. Driving in southern England made me think too much as I used a left side shift. Once I got to Scotland the roads were more wide open and I actually had time to enjoy the scenery and wildlife.

Exchange visit Coot!! I'll gladly head to Oregon for the remainder of elk bow season, if you're on your way over here :D

Are you from Suffolk, VA. or Suffolk, UK? I will be happy to tell you and or show you where to go elk hunting. Not sure if you can buy an elk tag now as the season has already started. With rifle you can not. My favorite spot got burned up by a forest fire about 2 or 3 years ago, should be getting good again soon. Plenty of other spots for elk though. All free and available to anyone on this side of the grass.

Don't let me paint too pretty a picture, it would be a hard hunt on public lands. That means spooky game and country that is standing on it's end (steep). I do however, think that bow hunters have the best chance of getting a bull on public land. The season is a month long and you can call them in. First full moon in September is usually the peak of the rut. You could also hunt the coast range, get a Roosevelt elk. Not kidding, it would be a piece of cake for a non resident to hunt here or pretty much anywhere in the US. Having a cool accent and being polite will open more doors than I could ever crack. "Hi I'm from England and Iv'e come to hunt elk, mind if I hunt on your property". I'll bet 2 out of 3 times you would get permission. Southern, am I right on that or what?

Last edited:
Alas, the English Suffolk. But I'm loving the idea of using my accent to open up elk hunting opportunities...

Back