Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox box

Fox box

Looking at making a fox box to put on a permission I got but not sure if should make a moveable one ie on trailer or a static one.

dose anyone have any plans for making one or any pictures of ones they got so can have a heads up.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by .243 t3 View Post
    Looking at making a fox box to put on a permission I got but not sure if should make a moveable one ie on trailer or a static one.

dose anyone have any plans for making one or any pictures of ones they got so can have a heads up.

matt
    A few factors are, how much time can you afford to be in the " box " ?
    Also what is the draw for them being there? How much damage are they doing?
    If it was a free range chicken's then it would speak for its self...

As for plans I would base it on the above, no point in building a box with all mod cons if you cant afford the time to be in it, with the timings you might not to need to spend all night waiting but if they move around very late then get some sticks for your eyes...

Regarding one on trailer then moving it around in the winter is something to consider.

Personally I would spend some time (with the rifle) and work out where they are coming from.

Size wise is not hard to work out as you just need to set the rifle on a bench and work out the foot print, ply is roughly 8x4!!

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Cheers tim,

its a a farm that I have shot more foxes than can think of they just seem to keep coming back, I work week on week off so get plenty of time to sit in one .also have a lot of fallow passing through too so not just for the foxes.

i normally sit up in the hedge for couple of hours but lately I've been giving up with the rain and thought might as well spend a week making one and then got a nice comfy place to sit up.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by .243 t3 View Post
    Cheers tim,

its a a farm that I have shot more foxes than can think of they just seem to keep coming back, I work week on week off so get plenty of time to sit in one .also have a lot of fallow passing through too so not just for the foxes.

i normally sit up in the hedge for couple of hours but lately I've been giving up with the rain and thought might as well spend a week making one and then got a nice comfy place to sit up.

matt
    Then you have ticked the box to get the saw out!!

Picture's to follow................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Has your farmer anything you could start with ? An old chicken shed you could clean out, a container he no longer needs but could reposition for you ? A trailer he doent use all the time ?
    Failing that, is height important (safety), if it is helpful then you need to think box on legs and make them seperately. You could sit on the legs platform and save for the box whilst using it. There is a chap on Utube who has constructed a fox box similar to the one you might want - have a look and design accordingly.
    If you make it as 2 pieces, moving it on a farm trailer wouldnt be too difficult. Good luck.

On the edge of the wood where I normally sit there is a old oak tree that had a whack of lightening many years ago I have used my telescopic ladder and got up in there .

was going to make a base up there with some old 4x2 and go from there, or buy a s/h shed and get tele handler to lift it up in place .

I made a fox box for my winter foxing last year. I will put some pics up when near a pc.

I have a friend who made a very good fox box/general hide from two of the large commercial potato crates. There's room for two inside and the basic structure is there. just need some felt for the roof, which is the floor of one crate, and a door and a couple of small windows that lift up. Very easy and effective. It is on a trailer so is moveable.