Norman's gone

Old-YOP

Norman (the house martin) has gone

Norman the house martin was found 12 days ago after a storm washed his nest off the house. Really small, and not much chance of lasting the night.

Yesterday, after countless crickets, cat food and live worms (various), he hopped onto the edge of his box and zoomed out of the door to join his family flock.

Without so much as a backward glance, the ungrateful little sh*t.

But at least I get more time in bed now that the 06:00 feed is no longer required!

WP_20150901_008.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, oh, oh...OLD-YOP...please adjust your header! Maybe to "Our House Martin Dead?

There's a lot thought that this referred to Uncle Norm and that we'd lost a really very, very nice fellow forum member.

It gave me quite a shock!

Oh, oh, oh...OLD-YOP...please adjust your header! Maybe to "Our House Martin Dead?

There's a lot thought that this referred to Uncle Norm and that we'd lost a really very, very nice fellow forum member.

It gave me quite a shock!

Sorry, done (and I certainly hope that NEITHER Norman is dead :)

Did this very exercise with a young swift as a young lad, very satisfying, the best part was that for at least 3 years after we had one swift in the flock of swallows and house martins (we never had swifts around the house, it was found in a near by village), so i can only assume it was the same one....

Well done we used to have house Martins but not seen any for years now.

I thought we had House Martins this summer, at times as many as 12 on the south facing roof catching the sun but looking up in a couple of books and on line sources has me unsure as to what they were. DSC0016 shows what I think is a Crag Martin, the white spots under the tail being the clue. I'm not a twitcher so I don't know for sure, it seems quite common for a number of the swallow/martin species to hang out together. Can anyone identify them, high resolution but quite large NEF (Nikon, 10MB or so) files available.

View attachment 60932View attachment 60933View attachment 60934View attachment 60935View attachment 60936View attachment 60937View attachment 60938

I thought we had House Martins this summer, at times as many as 12 on the south facing roof catching the sun but looking up in a couple of books and on line sources has me unsure as to what they were. DSC0016 shows what I think is a Crag Martin, the white spots under the tail being the clue. I'm not a twitcher so I don't know for sure, it seems quite common for a number of the swallow/martin species to hang out together. Can anyone identify them, high resolution but quite large NEF (Nikon, 10MB or so) files available.

View attachment 60932View attachment 60933View attachment 60934View attachment 60935View attachment 60936View attachment 60937View attachment 60938

these are all swallows.....

these are all swallows.....

I readily admit I don't know, the reference sources I have found indicate that while these have the blue/black colouring of swallows, they also note that swallows have long forked tails and these don't. What's their most positive identification factor?

Third and fourth photo's could maybe contain a House Martin, unless what looks like a white rump is just a reflection.

ATB Lee

Back