Thread: Exporting red deer trophy (antlers on skull) to US

Exporting red deer trophy (antlers on skull) to US

I have just returned from a successful trip to Sutherland with some friends including one from USA. My friend would like to get his stags head sent over to the U.S. Can anyone advice how to go about this? Do I need to any certificates and or sign offs from a vet to confirm it is free from disease and or pests/parasites? Can I ship it by UPS? I have heard it is difficult to import to USA and that in the past antlers have been sawed off so they can enter the U.S. while the skull was destroyed. Any advice would be most welcome.

I send antlers and mounted heads every year to the states, and have done for many years. Its fair to say that things have got more awkward with exporting trophies to the USA.

First of all you do not need a vets certificate. I have never in over 30 years used one to export to the USA. Secondly I would use a very good freight agent rather than UPS. I have never used UPS to send trophies, so cannot comment on them as a reliable way to import into the USA.

Whatever you send it must go through a designated port of entry into the USA with a Fish and Wildlife office. Not all ports have this. Most if not all of my clients use a freight handling agent in the USA called Fauna and Flora, they are on the east coast. They handle all the paperwork and get it through Fish and Wildlife.

Also the box you put the trophies in, if you are sending air freight it needs to be constructed of aircraft grade timber. If not they will refuse it. Sending by sea(surface) takes longer and is much the same price and still needs to go through a port of entry. I have never sent anything via surface.

Also the USA Fish and Wildlife do not allow multiple trophies in one box anymore. This is a real pain in the arse, because each person must send their trophies under separate consignment. Although you can get away with 2 or possible 3 clients in one box and mark it all as one client.

The skulls must be completely clean and bleached, any skins must be dried salted and fixed so there is noting alive on them. You must also add the scientific name of each trophy and where it was shot and in accordance with the laws of the U.K.

I would pass the whole lot to a shipper and send freight collect. Your USA friend will need to get them through Fish and Wildlife with a handling agent.

Send me a PM if you need anymore help.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Sikamalc, thanks for the comprehensive answer - most helpful. I have found there website and will contact them.

If you need to someone to ship it out from this end I would recommend KG Logistics, Gavin White. They are based in North Kent, so not a million miles from you in Essex.

His number is 01634 684382. They will build a box for you and deliver it, you put the skulls in and give them your friends details and off it goes. You can send it freight collect so your friend pays the charges at the other end if needs be.

ATB
    Sikamalc
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Malcolm is totally correct, but if your friend returns in the future there is another legal option. They can return with the skull/antlers as part of their legal baggage.

to do this the skull must be bleached and cleaned of all flesh. If the rack is any size at all, then the skull will need split so that it will fit in a suitcase/bag. Sharp and protruding point will need covered with foam and taped. The first flight arriving into the USA must be a designated port of entry, and if you have a connecting flight you must have enough time to meet with USFWS and USDA (plane 2-3 hours) and clear the paperwork and inspection. Some ports of entry, such as Chicago OHare are easy to work with. Others require that you use a broker (such as the one Malcolm mentioned). It helps to make contact with the lead USFWS agent ahead of time so they know your arrival flight and what you will be bringing. As long as it is a very populous species (roe, red, sika, etc....) they are very easy to work with. If you try to import a rare species (say a Pere Marquette deer) it will not go easily, and may result in confiscation.

i had all my ducks in a row to do this on my last trip over, but it took me until the 2nd to last day to harvest my stag, which did not allow enough time to clea, bleach, and dry the skull before departing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    Malcolm is totally correct, but if your friend returns in the future there is another legal option. They can return with the skull/antlers as part of their legal baggage.

to do this the skull must be bleached and cleaned of all flesh. If the rack is any size at all, then the skull will need split so that it will fit in a suitcase/bag. Sharp and protruding point will need covered with foam and taped. The first flight arriving into the USA must be a designated port of entry, and if you have a connecting flight you must have enough time to meet with USFWS and USDA (plane 2-3 hours) and clear the paperwork and inspection. Some ports of entry, such as Chicago OHare are easy to work with. Others require that you use a broker (such as the one Malcolm mentioned). It helps to make contact with the lead USFWS agent ahead of time so they know your arrival flight and what you will be bringing. As long as it is a very populous species (roe, red, sika, etc....) they are very easy to work with. If you try to import a rare species (say a Pere Marquette deer) it will not go easily, and may result in confiscation.

i had all my ducks in a row to do this on my last trip over, but it took me until the 2nd to last day to harvest my stag, which did not allow enough time to clea, bleach, and dry the skull before departing.
    When we sent them we used sections of garden hose to cover the tine ends then wrapped the skull in bubble wrap
    seemed to be OK never had any rejected, might have got harder recently I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    When we sent them we used sections of garden hose to cover the tine ends then wrapped the skull in bubble wrap
    seemed to be OK never had any rejected, might have got harder recently I don't know.
    That would work also. What they want is something that is airline baggage monkey proof. As a matter of fact, I like your hose idea better.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. Bleach ordered. Shipper contacted. Hope to send them next week. Will let you know how I get on.