Recommended lead free 270 bullet for Blaser R8

lambic

Completely new to reloading so please be gentle....

Norma 130SP have been great but I am going down the lead free route and being supervised in reloadng by another SD member. Looking to buy 150-200 bullets and find a specification that is accurate, expands well and can be easily reproduced.

GS Customs have worked well in 8 trial rounds but extremely hard to get hard of. Barnes TTSX 110gr appear like they should fit the bill, but they are nearly as tricky to find as the GS.

Looking for something fast and flat, around 3300 fps+.

Are the RWS Green any good? Big fan of anything engineered by our Teutonic friends.

Are euro bullets easier to source than the American stuff? Is it the same as rifles and optics, where Euro stuff is better engineering?

130gn barnes TTSX @ 2900fps will do all you need and more , why so fast? all your going to do is blow big holes in things!

i have used the 130gn ttsx for years inmy 270 and at 2900fps no bullet damage and you can eat right up to the hole!

Leech6.5 I understand what you are saying.
Based on my limited research I thought these lead free bullets had better expansion the faster they were pushed. Also slightly flatter trajectory if I did some target practice.

Are the Barnes 130s TTSX as good as the Norma 130SPs?

To be honest the Norma's have been brilliant, but I am eating a lot of venison and rabbit these days so lead free does make sense.

I'm using 130gn Barnes TSX in my .270 R8, running at 3000 ft/s, brilliant round, never looked back.

To be honest the Norma's have been brilliant, but I am eating a lot of venison and rabbit these days so lead free does make sense.

Why?
Are you worried about lead poisoning?

On the basis that a huge proportion of pre-1970/1980 homes still have lead pipes somewhere between the sky and their taps and lack of lead poisoning apparent from that....
You have more chance of ingesting much more harmful levels of persistent pesticides from not washing your vegetables or walking round the countryside when the farmers are spraying the fields!

Yes I was thinking of lead ingestion, based on no real knowledge of the issue.

Didn't think about all the lead pipes. Also head shoot all the rabbits. Last few deer have not been heart and Iung either.

I am too lazy to develop multiple loads, just one good one for all British deer and maybe the odd small boar. So I thought lead free was more sensible for the next 10 to 20 years.

Very funny. [emoji33]

Rimfire and FAC Air.

Barnes TTSX available in Europe apparently

Last edited:
I did some loads for my .270 with the Barnes TTSX 110 gr. Very accurate and killed an antelope and mule deer DRT. According to the Nosler manual fps wise, it was close to the .257 WBY. Max charge of IMR 4350 or H4350, sorry I can't remember. The meat damage was minimal. Very mild recoil and taught as a string bullet flight. Happy hunting.

Thanks AGOW. Just need to source some of the damn things.

Turning out to be as hard to find as the GS Custom HV.

Try lutzmoeller.net. He is based in Germany. Very interesting site also for information on people sceptical on the efficiency of lead free alternatives. Have been using this in 30.06 with my R8 for 3 years. The guy has a ballistic/physics background having worked for one of the large ammo producers for years. No b******t theories, just fact based advice. There is a small section in English, but email him if you have a question and he will reply. Excellent accuracy, minimal meat damage, no lead contamination, excellent knock down power!!

Back