Thread: Possible snaring taking place in the woods

Possible snaring taking place in the woods

Spoke with farmer from one of my shoots yesterday and he said they had found 2 deer with leg injuries which I presumed was from them being caught up in the fence wire, then checked one of my cameras and found this young doe with part of her front leg missing.

That's 3 deer now in less than 1 week

All the deer I have found stuck in fence wire had been trapped by the back legs and never front so now its got me thinking this may be snaring taking place in the woodlands. I was informed recently that someone was snaring deer in the Raglan area who was rumbled so makes me think he may have moved further afield just down the road to us.

Hi Elmer,
    I have not seen or heard anything yet. I used to see it a lot where I grew up in Hertfordshire. Where badly set fox snares and poor shots were generally the cause and the fallow travelled around a great deal.
    I will speak to my dad about it, it was thirty years ago or so. I remember very occasionally you would find scaring through the lungs!
    Regards Karamoja

It would have to be a prity old snare to catch a deers legs weather it be front or back, all new snares have stops on them so the wire could not tighten around the leg, it would be possible to snare for something like a muntie but it would have to be set in a rack and a bit higher than a normally set snare.
    deer normally just knock snares over when they pass over them.

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

Cookingfat the guys that we are probably talking about don't adhere to best practise principles, they wouldn't know what a stop is. The wire that they make their snares from is what they can steal.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Cookingfat the guys that we are probably talking about don't adhere to best practise principles, they wouldn't know what a stop is. The wire that they make their snares from is what they can steal.
    as above will be using copper wire i used to make my own snares this way many moons ago for rabbits

I was told that they are putting snares down and then chasing the deer with dogs, this is the scrote who stole a trail camera other week up in Raglan

There was a program on BBC 1 wales last year about this,not far form you're neck of the woods E.F.
    Iolo Williams,along with a rural police officer were convinced it was an illegal snare,but it turned out to be double stranded barb wire causing the trouble in one particular spot.
    The set up a trail cam and two bucks had identical injuries in the same place.

I was out about two months ago on some woodland I stalk and was walking Down a track that some fallow been using a lot and just before you exit into the field there was bike inner tube tied between two trees head height of a deer! So cut it down , the group of deer I been seeing when out foxing is getting less on numbers and also very twitchy on the lamp. But before you could sit there and watch them on it.

also I shot a nice big buck a while ago and his front right leg was missing did take some photos will have to try find them and put on here.

Hi Elmer,

Happened a couple of years ago near me some scrote had set up a net across a deer path two Fallow Bucks caught up one dead the other cut out and ran off hopefully to survive

ATB

Paul D

I have had the same but when the persons running the shoot next door went so did the problem. Over around three years I shot 13 Fallow and Roe with bits of legs missing, mostly rear legs.
    Most had developed pads on the stump and were in good health. When the skin was removed from the stump it was obvious that a wire had been around the leg.
    How's your end of the gene pool today?