Thread: A History of Safari

A History of Safari

A heads-up for anyone who might be interested - BBC4 is showing a documentary at 9pm tonight (that's 2100 Stu ) about the history of the safari industry in eastern Africa. Don't know what it's going to be like but might be interesting. Suspect it will be a lot of 'wasn't this awful but at least we only take pictures of the nice animals these days'

Followed at 1030 by the film The Ghost and the Darkness, but if you are a fan of Patterson's The Man-eaters of Tsavo (which it's supposedly based on) be warned that it takes some astonishing liberties with the original story.

I enjoyed the history of it all !

Best line of the night "Lucky B***ards " lololololol

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    A heads-up for anyone who might be interested - BBC4 is showing a documentary at 9pm tonight (that's 2100 Stu ) about the history of the safari industry in eastern Africa. Don't know what it's going to be like but might be interesting. Suspect it will be a lot of 'wasn't this awful but at least we only take pictures of the nice animals these days'

Followed at 1030 by the film The Ghost and the Darkness, but if you are a fan of Patterson's The Man-eaters of Tsavo (which it's supposedly based on) be warned that it takes some astonishing liberties with the original story.

Some real poetic Licence on that one! But pretty good all the same

Thanks for the heads up, didnt see the afrika programe, wish I had now

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

I thought it was pretty good, Mr Grant certainly didn't try to put a negative spin on it and was trying to put the conservation words into the PH's mouth at the end. Good camera work and a few trophies I would happily put on my wall. Has anyone experienced the rampant sh**ging that apparently goes with hunting in Africa? I didn't notice any of that on my trips!

No doubt on BBC iplayer for anyone who missed it and has fast enough broadband to watch it (unlike me).

Eric

For those who like me missed this, it is available on iPlayer for 7 days. LInk below..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s6b8q

Best

PHJLA