Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autumn is coming.....saw my first skein of geese this evening....

Autumn is coming.....saw my first skein of geese this evening....

I'm fortunate enough to live in an area that each year has large flights of geese going over - call me sad if you want, but on an autumnal early evening I quite often like to just stand in the back garden, drink of choice in hand, watching hundreds, thousands of geese flying over, honking as they go......

Their arrival heralds the turn in the season for me - it means autumn is well and truly here.

I normally don't start seeing them until the end of this month - but tonight whilst just about home from work, what did I see up in the sky? My first unmistakable 'V' of geese.....

Autumn is here chaps......!!

(Tony: have you seen any yet?)
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Been about 300 on the marsh since last week. A lot more will arrive next week and into the first week of October then they'll feck off to Norfolk for a couple of weeks and stay a bit before they realise the sugar beat isn't there in anything like the quantity it used to be and come back here to hammer the tatties and carrots.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

The winds in Iceland are just right to give them 'lift' at the moment...won't be long now.

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Been about 300 on the marsh since last week. A lot more will arrive next week and into the first week of October then they'll feck off to Norfolk for a couple of weeks and stay a bit before they realise the sugar beat isn't there in anything like the quantity it used to be and come back here to hammer the tatties and carrots.
    .......I don't drive past the marsh since I changed jobs a month ago! Used to be my daily route.... New bypass to the motorway now....

They'll be all over the moss in the not too distant then.

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Yep.
    i was out pigeoning this morning ( if you're ever after a guide on the 'places pigeons don't go' I'm your man) and no sign of them.
    Looking out on the marsh this evening and a few more about...
    Quad sticks

Saw hundreds on a field near here yesterday. Never seen them in this area before, except in ones and twos.

Pinks?
    Quad sticks

[QUOTE=limulus;1015874]Yep.
    i was out pigeoning this morning ( if you're ever after a guide on the 'places pigeons don't go' I'm your man) and no sign of them.
    Looking out on the marsh this evening and a few more about...[/QUOTE

....lol....reckon I could give you a good run for your money on the old "non-lethal woodpigeon deterrent" front!!

Step1: place decoys out
    Step 2: wait for ages wondering where all the woodies have f***ed off to.....
    Step 3: head home hoping there ade some fish-fingers in the freezer....

They've cut so many fields here in the last week they just bugger off after one shot to the next stubble.
    First day on the duck and partridge next Wednesday.....excited muchly
    Quad sticks

Looking forward to spring here