Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger American - any hands-on experience?

Ruger American - any hands-on experience?

I'm going to be looking for a useable, reliable 308 and the over-riding consideration is going to be price. I know there will be second hand options to be had but if I'm honest I'd be more comfortable with a new gun as I've got no experience to judge what is a decent used buy (condition etc.). Also keen on a synthetic rather than wood stock.

Looking at Guntrader the first new gun that appears is the Ruger American (£399). Online reviews seem favourable and while it's nothing fancy it seems to have a good trigger, decent magazine and be accurate enough as a hunting rifle. Beyond that price range the next obvious option is the Howa, which may well be a step up but if I'm honest the extra £150 could be better spent by me on scope mounts, bipod, ammo etc. I'd also like to have some prospect of picking up a cheap 22lr at some point for cheap pratice.

So, any real experience of the Ruger out there? I know it won't be a Tikka T3 but there's no real point going there as I can't afford one of those, even second hand.

Cheers,

Andy

Andyf. I had a ruger American in .308. Found it reliable and accurate. Trigger was great and accuracy was sufficient for stalking. Very very light and easy to carry. On the downside it's not something you would want to fire a lot of .308 through as a range gun. Barrel heats up quickly and the light weight makes the recoil a bit severe after a while. Overall I was very pleased with it. They also do it in .22 rf

I have a 22LR BSA Sportsman 15 you can have for free if you pick up the RFD costs. Mounting a scope is a challenge though.

On a budget I'd perhaps look for an older well cared for Sako or similar, or if you could stretch a little more used, a Tikka T3. I know you say it's above budget but I have seen these going with light use as low as £350 for rifle only (ok, I've only seen one at that price, but you get the drift....they're about). Even if it sets you back £150 more than a new Ruger, it would be money well spent. The barrels are reputedly much better than the Howa (Remington 700) barrels or the less expensive Rugers.

I'm in a similar position and have shortlisted the T3, the new Bergara B14 (which by all accounts is a fabulous rifle, and even at its modest price used decent barrels and properly bedded stocks, and warranted and tested sub MOA) or even a Sako A7 Roughneck if I can find one used.

22LR wise, there' loads of choice. CZ would be a good one as there's so many available cheaply and they shoot well. I have a Ruger M77/22 all weather which is a fabulous little hunting rifle and they're about for £300 or so. CZ can be had cheaper.
    Last edited by ChesterP; 11-09-2015 at 11:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    I have a 22LR BSA Sportsman 15 you can have for free if you pick up the RFD costs. Mounting a scope is a challenge though.
    Kind offer and free is right in my ideal budget!

I'll bear it in mind when my FAC arrives but ideally I'll have something I can set up similarly to the 308 as a cheap way of practising. I think priority will be the CF so I can actually get out stalking.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesterP View Post
    I'm in a similar position and have shortlisted the T3, the new Bergara B14 (which by all accounts is a fabulous rifle, and even at its modest price used decent barrels and properly bedded stocks, and warranted and tested sub MOA) or even a Sako A7 Roughneck if I can find one used.
    The Bergara does look very good for the money - good barrell obviously and a timney trigger I think. And for less than a T3...

Maybe I can sell something...

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    Kind offer and free is right in my ideal budget!

I'll bear it in mind when my FAC arrives but ideally I'll have something I can set up similarly to the 308 as a cheap way of practising. I think priority will be the CF so I can actually get out stalking.
    I've shot one and handled several. The .223 "Predator" I shot was accurate and the trigger was good. There is a waiting list for this model in 6.5 Creedmore and 308. They make a shorter version of the Predator in 300 AAC Blackout that caught my eye last night. 1:7 twist and $389 US.~Muir

300BLK. I had to sight this in the other day for a friend. Not really my cup of tea. Feels like a really cheap rifle and for the price I'd got a tikka T3 to be honest. I suppose it functions okay and the action was massive for the size of the cartridge. Has a picatinny rail which made scope mounting easy. No open sights. Has threads for a legal suppressor. Trigger was okay, a bit like the savage two stage.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    300BLK. I had to sight this in the other day for a friend. Not really my cup of tea. Feels like a really cheap rifle and for the price I'd got a tikka T3 to be honest. I suppose it functions okay and the action was massive for the size of the cartridge. Has a picatinny rail which made scope mounting easy. No open sights. Has threads for a legal suppressor. Trigger was okay, a bit like the savage two stage.
    Thats the problem though. In other markets the T3 is available at a similar price point. Here it's significantly more expensive. I've shot a T3 in 223 and it would be a no brainer if I could pick one up for a similar price.

Im in still only window shopping though so maybe the perfect deal will be there when my ticket actually lands...