Thread: Why cannot a firearms certificate be for life?

Why cannot a firearms certificate be for life?

http://basc.org.uk/wp-content/upload...ertificate.pdf

Worth having a quick read of BASC's latest paper, which I support and applaud as a step forward but could we even take a step further?

Car drivers kill far more folk than firearms certificate holders, yet, my driving licence was issued for 52 years when I passed at 18. Like most folks I freely admit that my driving skills have most definitely improved considerably with experience and consequently my safety as a driver. We all know very well that there are many unsafe drivers on the road.

The key is that my driving licence can be revoked at any time for inappropriate behaviour as can any firearm certificate.

One is no less or more safe 30 years after being issued with a certificate than the day it is issued. You are either a safe shot or you are not. I fail to see the necessity for renewals at all.

Monitoring, as BASC so rightly point out, is now almost real time with the advent of linked databases.

I have no problem with sending in new pictures every 10 years but the police could even save themselves this cost if they simply link certificate to driving licence/passport pictures. which you update at any post office.

Quote Originally Posted by N1mr0d View Post

Worth having a quick read of BASC's latest paper, which I support and applaud as a step forward but could we even take a step further?

Car drivers kill far more folk than firearms certificate holders, yet, my driving licence was issued for 52 years when I passed at 18. Like most folks I freely admit that my driving skills have most definitely improved considerably with experience and consequently my safety as a driver. We all know very well that there are many unsafe drivers on the road.

think you will find that has changed too!

to many variables and I dont need to provide good reason to own and drive a car!

No reason apart from the general hostility of the public authorities to the private possesion of firearms, I'm afraid the ghost of George V persists!

atb Tim

in the modern age where they will know if a problem before you do no real reason at all

or at least not have it finish but require a police review every 5-7yrs so they check up on permissions and reason etc but you dont actually have your FAC end and have to wait for a new one and they have a bit of flexibility on checking so can do it sensibly and only revoke it if there is a problem (as they will do at any time before teh renewal any way)

does mean they loose their 5 yrly income stream

I'd settle for fairness, service, uniformity of decision-making, police support for a standardised training scheme linked to Firearms Units, but only when they are collectively equivalent in standards applied.
    Chief Cons will however, never give up their 'autonomous power', ACPO and NPCC are designed to continue to exercise and preserve that authority and as such they will always be directed differently, despite being in this way (firearms), the same.
    Sadly the phrase, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely, results in quasi-military police constabularies, which insist that they know more about the subject than anyone. Like they do about Emergency Planning and reducing road casualties. there are very many good officers but higher up, 'politics' comes in to play. Teresa May had a point but has just exchanged one limited police company for another.

You can,t have a license for life, because you can,t, simple as, it may make sense, it may be a great idea, but just like 1-1 exchange at gun shops, you can,t, because I know better and I am a chief constable and even if it was the law I would still ignore it or make it difficult, because I have my own agenda, along with my mates at the npcc, and despite what the government think we interpret the law as we see it.
    Ok

Its all smoke and mirrors!,,,,plus loads of the proverbial,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    You can,t have a license for life, because you can,t, simple as, it may make sense, it may be a great idea, but just like 1-1 exchange at gun shops, you can,t, because I know better and I am a chief constable and even if it was the law I would still ignore it or make it difficult, because I have my own agenda, along with my mates at the npcc, and despite what the government think we interpret the law as we see it.
    Ok
    How do things stand in NZ, like the UK do they too have ridiculously bureaucratic and illogical gun laws purporting to be "strict"?

atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    How do things stand in NZ, like the UK do they too have ridiculously bureaucratic and illogical gun laws purporting to be "strict"?

atb Tim
    we do have gun laws
    pistols used at clubs only
    military style weapons, this is a rifle with a pistol grip and bayonet lug hi capacity mags, this includes some shotguns, require a different license E Cat, this can be obtained but requires a firearms cabinet 6mm steel.
    all others are ok,A cat
    so we have semi auto,s for hunting, ten year license, buy and sell ad lib, same for ammo just show your license.
    Application is simple, do a safety test, Free
    pay your application fee
    visit to home to make sure of security and vet partner, security varies on standard required ( town or country)
    visit to your sponsor
    paperwork is then sent to Wellington NZ police HQ, who issue the license, depending on numbers requiring processing issued between 4-8 weeks
    as with all ill thought out laws our ARs have different stocks, take a look on 'trade me' and you will see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by N1mr0d View Post

The key is that my driving licence can be revoked at any time for inappropriate behaviour as can any firearm certificate.

One is no less or more safe 30 years after being issued with a certificate than the day it is issued. You are either a safe shot or you are not. I fail to see the necessity for renewals at all.

Monitoring, as BASC so rightly point out, is now almost real time with the advent of linked databases.

I have no problem with sending in new pictures every 10 years but the police could even save themselves this cost if they simply link certificate to driving licence/passport pictures. which you update at any post office.

I totally agree with linking with your Driving Licence BUT what about the people like myself that gets their driving licence reviewed every three years due to Type1 diabetes, my own case is a lot more investigation work for not only DVLA but my Doctor (whom sometimes has been asked for the reports from the hospital that i attend to inquire with my Diabetic Consultant at the hospital. I sometimes think that with the police asking for permission to ask the Doctors questions IT DOES GO OVER THE SCORE! as i have had them asking him some weird questions and the Doc even said that he does not like shooting of any kind. (which i felt helped even more because he can trust me 100 percent).