Thread: bumping the shoulder back

bumping the shoulder back

Hi, i am sure ive read somewhere you can measure your case to see if it needs bumped back by a homemade method? Have any you guys got such a method?
    Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Hi, i am sure ive read somewhere you can measure your case to see if it needs bumped back by a homemade method? Have any you guys got such a method?
    Regards Neil
    Can you Fl resize the case and have the bolt close freely? That's how i tell.~Muir

Yeah Muir, thats right.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Hi, i am sure ive read somewhere you can measure your case to see if it needs bumped back by a homemade method? Have any you guys got such a method? Regards Neil
    I think what you're talking about is F/L sizing to your fired case headspace dimension. So you need a headspace measuring guage - Hornady 'stoney point' or similar. With the correct guage for your cartridge you measure a number of fired cases and then set your full length resizing die to the average dimension, so when you drive a case into the die, the shoulder is just slightly 'bumped' back just .001" - .002". The result is you have brass that perfectly fits your chamber and the brass is worked only very slightly with a good expectation that brass life may be extended.

The additional bonus is that you should end up with more consistent accurate ammunition. It just takes a little more time and care to set up.
    Not to mention the few quid spent for the measuring gauge.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    I think what you're talking about is F/L sizing to your fired case headspace dimension. So you need a headspace measuring guage - Hornady 'stoney point' or similar.
    Actually, you don't need one. Adjust your FL die until it is obviously "too high". Remove the expander ball. Do a FL resize, clean the case of lube and chamber it. If the headspace is roo long, either the bolt won't close or it will be stiff. Lower the die a smidgen. Repeat the exercise until the bolt closes smoothly. Refit the expander ball and resize normally. The expander ball may lengthen the case by a thou'. Adjust the die down if necessary. re-check fo headspace. Job done.

-JMS

Quote Originally Posted by JMS906 View Post
    Actually, you don't need one. Adjust your FL die until it is obviously "too high". Remove the expander ball. Do a FL resize, clean the case of lube and chamber it. If the headspace is roo long, either the bolt won't close or it will be stiff. Lower the die a smidgen. Repeat the exercise until the bolt closes smoothly. Refit the expander ball and resize normally. The expander ball may lengthen the case by a thou'. Adjust the die down if necessary. re-check fo headspace. Job done. -JMS
    Yup OK you can do this by trial & error in this way..but other than it fits the rifle, dimensionally you don't exactly know what you're working to. Nor, necessarily are you able to keep it exactly consistent. But yes, you can do this although not quite precisely enough for me. I'd rather have the guage and work to exact dimensions.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Yup OK you can do this by trial & error in this way..but other than it fits the rifle, dimensionally you don't exactly know what you're working to. Nor, necessarily are you able to keep it exactly consistent. But yes, you can do this although not quite precisely enough for me. I'd rather have the guage and work to exact dimensions.
    But you only have to do the trial and error setup once. Thereafter you lock your FL die collar and don't need to adjust it again.

just lock the die ring - set

You are more likely to introduce variables through poor measuring techniques/equipment and you still have to trial fit the case at the end of it.
    this way you know if it doesn't fit it is too long

the measure and size way you may be using an undersized case depending on how accurate you and the tools are

IMO far too many people are interested in measuring lands and head space when they don't need to.
    you have a perfect tool, custom fitted to your rifle......the fired case!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    just lock the die ring - set

You are more likely to introduce variables through poor measuring techniques/equipment and you still have to trial fit the case at the end of it.
    this way you know if it doesn't fit it is too long

the measure and size way you may be using an undersized case depending on how accurate you and the tools are

IMO far too many people are interested in measuring lands and head space when they don't need to.
    you have a perfect tool, custom fitted to your rifle......the fired case!
    To that. Your headspace is what it is. Lock the die and forget it. I shoot Military surplus brass, exclusively, in my 308's and most of it was fired in some form of S.A.W. which lengthens the cases quite a bit. I set my FL Die so that a sized case will allow the bolt to close without hesitation, lock the die ring and proceed. Done. I have seven 308's I'm feeding with basically one die setting. I shoot a lot and I want the dies to remember what I need... which is why they come with locking rings.

What is this measuring thing reloaders have these days?? They'll pay an extra $150 for a case trimmer with a Chinese micrometer attached to it as if it matters. ~Muir

‎I penned a lengthy description on how to achieve the above earlier this morning then deleted it as I feared the OP did not want to hear that the only piece of measuring equipment required ‎is a sensitive finger & thumb as you close the bolt on a case subject ‎to small increments of downward die adjustment.

I like to lock the die at a point where I can feel the slightest of resistance ‎as the bolt closes.

As Muir states a once fired case from your chamber is your best friend and the only measurement one needs to watch after die setup is that suggesting the neck needs trimming.

K‎
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.