Thread: 1st Time Stalking

1st Time Stalking

Im planning a stalk in Scotland and have a closed ticket atm. Would I need to have deer on my ticket or would it be good to go? Its cleared for fox on the ticket.
    Last edited by airman; 11-09-2015 at 15:28.

You will need deer on your cert and if it is not open the land will need to be approved for that particular calibre. Probably easier to use the estate rifle if available.

ATB Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by TH4 View Post
    You will need deer on your cert and if it is not open the land will need to be approved for that particular calibre. Probably easier to use the estate rifle if available.

ATB Trevor
    It would be easier to use an estate rifle, but a booking is good enough reason to have Deer added to your FAC. I'd have Deer (or AOLQ) added to your ticket, you should only need to show them evidence of your booking for this.
    The closed ticket is a seperate problem, firstly check if the land has been passed already for your calibre rifle (some Scottish areas do this, historically some have not). If the land is passed already and you get Deer (or aolq) added to your fac then you're good to go.

how long have you had your Fac, any chance of getting it opened up?

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    how long have you had your Fac, any chance of getting it opened up?
    Not a chance atm. Its been 5 months. :/

I wonder if the English firearms would give it me for deer though because its a .222 you know what its like! Im going for roe in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by airman View Post
    Not a chance atm. Its been 5 months. :/

I wonder if the English firearms would give it me for deer though because its a .222 you know what its like! Im going for roe in Scotland

Youre right, probably not going to get it opened (although still worth asking if you have relevent experience etc - got mine opened up after 8 months.......)

i have heard of rifles being conditioned for 'roe in scotland only' on English FAC's, in circumstances like yours.

FWIW... I spoke to my local FLO about this as someone i know who wanted to stalk with me was in the same situation. He was informed that as long as he was stalking with me (ie together while stalking) then he could use my privileges thus use his .270 (which was on a closed ticket) on my land, which has not been checked as i have an open ticket.

I think its parr for the course where we see inconsistent views in this area. Some of the logic is just mad really though. Luckily we have the 'carlsberg' FLD's here in North Yorkshire.. Practical and pragmatic.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    FWIW... I spoke to my local FLO about this as someone i know who wanted to stalk with me was in the same situation. He was informed that as long as he was stalking with me (ie together while stalking) then he could use my privileges thus use his .270 (which was on a closed ticket) on my land, which has not been checked as i have an open ticket.
    Really, and you believe him?

Assuming your friend has something like the standard first grant territorial condition on his FAC viz:

The *calibre RIFLE/COMBINATION/SMOOTH-BORE GUN/SOUND MODERATOR and
    ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin including fox, and ground game/ deer (delete as
    appropriate) and any other lawful quarry, and for zeroing on ranges, on land deemed suitable by
    the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated
    and over which the holder has
    lawful authority to shoot

Then the part highlighted applies and he would be in beach of the condition to shoot over land if it wasn't cleared and 'deemed suitable' by the CC or his nominated staff. North Yorks FLO's might be practical and pragmatic but they could also be encouraging someone to get into trouble if the brown stuff hits the whirly thing.

EDIT TO ADD: Ask them to put it in writing and see if they are willing to confirm that statement.
    Last edited by Orion; 17-09-2015 at 09:56.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    i have heard of rifles being conditioned for 'roe in scotland only' on English FAC's, in circumstances like yours.
    It would be more straightforward of they simply conditioned the rifle for 'fox and AOLQ'.
    Roe in Scotland is lawful quarry for a .222, so that would sort it: apart from which, the current Guidance would in any case support that being the condition on the rifle.