Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunter in Germany mistakes man for wild boar

Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Every firearms accident can be traced to violating one or more of the Ten Commandments of Safety. You have to absolutely KNOW what your target is before you ever raise your rifle or shotgun. And you must know what is behind the target, and not assume that a tree or rise of earth somewhere will stop it. Non-hunters need to take some responsibility, too, and not walk, ride horses, or bicycles through hunting areas during the season, if they can avoid doing so. If they are out and about, they need to wear international blaze orange vests or caps.

probably more to this story than meets the eye, esp. given the illicit nature of her relationship with the victim...

tragedy though, irrespective of intent of the shooter.

Maybe down to the 30mm versus 1 inch issue on another thread

Stan

Maybe down to needing an eye test allied to incorrectly adjusted diopter setting as permitted by the Austrian scope in question?

Very tragic and difficult to comprehend as a mistake given the poor chap had a champagne glass in hand which is not something one readily associates with wild boar behaviour.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Every firearms accident can be traced to violating one or more of the Ten Commandments of Safety. You have to absolutely KNOW what your target is before you ever raise your rifle or shotgun. And you must know what is behind the target, and not assume that a tree or rise of earth somewhere will stop it. Non-hunters need to take some responsibility, too, and not walk, ride horses, or bicycles through hunting areas during the season, if they can avoid doing so. If they are out and about, they need to wear international blaze orange vests or caps.
    It's a very unfortunate incident, but reading what you've written, I've driven through Pensylvania often & while passing fields with cows in, saw the word 'COW' painted on their sides. I was told by farmers this is because there are some hunters there that frequently mis-identify their livestock for deer.
    Say what???
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Tragic and extremely reckless conduct at the very least, I think I'll give the German National Hunting Test a miss!

atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Tragic and extremely reckless conduct at the very least, I think I'll give the German National Hunting Test a miss!

atb Tim
    Tim, are you familiar with the test you mention?, An extremely drawn out procedure, unlike our own L1 + L2's ... All hunters wether tested or otherwise, can have an unforseen or unplanned event
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Tim, are you familiar with the test you mention?, An extremely drawn out procedure, unlike our own L1 + L2's ... All hunters wether tested or otherwise, can have an unforseen or unplanned event
    I've had a very quick read through of what is involved but the point that I am making is that no amount of testing allows for people with a dangerous attitude to safety. Presuming that this was not a deliberate malevolent act this hunter had clearly not bothered to properly identify his target regardless of any qualifications that he may have had.

atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    ... as a mistake given the poor chap had a champagne glass in hand which is not something one readily associates with wild boar behaviour.

K
    unless mistaken for one of these blue blooded boars