Thread: Best Factory ammo for Sako 75 in .308

Best Factory ammo for Sako 75 in .308

I have just bought a Sako 75 in .308 with mod. I don't shoot enough to load my own so what factory rounds would work best? I had a Sako .270 many years ago and it did not like Norma and worked best with Sako ammo. My .275 loves Federal but hates Norma and RWS. Grateful for any recommendations.

No way to tell I'm afraid, other than you shooting a few different types and seeing what works best in your rifle. They're all different and all have the potential to like different fodder.

saying that my sako 85 likes federal powershock 150grn

Search this thread for other Sako .308 owners.
    Start with the cheapest ammo, in 150-gr, like mil surplus, Prvi / PPU, Monarch, Geco, Sellier & Bellot, then Federal Classic.
    The .308 is not picky, and manufacturers have it dialed in.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    The best factory stuff I have found is Hornady. They tell you the FPS on the box and all that I have checked are right on the money. Their old Light Magnum stuff in .270 was incredible. I think they changed the Light Magnum line to Superformance, I heard it was due to pressure issues in auto loaders. Hornady is the most underrated name in the game, that has started to change in the last several years though. Great bullets, great ammo and great people.

Always give Samson a try, if you can find any.

What works best in one .308 75 won't necessarily work best in yours. Sadly some trial and error may be needed, however my Sako 85 in .308 does quite well with 150gr Federal Power-Shock and their expansion seems pretty decent too. I've tried rounds from Hornady, Norma and Remington and their accuracy hasn't been quite as good in my rifle and the Federals.

That being said, I tend to use 150gr Sierra GameKings over 43.5gr of N140 and the POI and trajectory are very similar to my 150gr SMK target load which is very handy.

Hi try sako 150 super hammerheads they are good in my tikka 308
    Ath tom ps try a box of privI.

I use Norma 150g Nosler through my 75. Never had a problem

Tried PPU through my Tika 308 last night and sadly they were all over the place (like 6" grouping at 100m)

I got good grouping (under an inch) with Sako 150g Hammer Heads and Firochi (SP) 150g Ballistic tip

ATB

Chasey

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    No way to tell I'm afraid, other than you shooting a few different types and seeing what works best in your rifle. They're all different and all have the potential to like different fodder.

saying that my sako 85 likes federal powershock 150grn
    As been said, try as many sorts as you can get hold of. My Sako 85 didn't like the Federals but did like the Winchester Power Point 150 gr and the Sako Hammerhead 150 gr. The Winchester were quite a bit cheaper so I went with them.