Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauser M03

Mauser M03

Fancied the pants off one of these and can't get the idea out of my mind. Do any of you chaps have any experience to share?

I'm looking for my 'definitive' rifle and, despite several swerves towards other manufacturers, I keep coming back to the M03. For once in my life I am willing to look beyond the cheapest option!
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

I had a play with one sometime back,couldn't get on with the safety. The one I tried, you would need to be Arnold Swarzenigger to cok the damn thing.
    The rifle itself was very well built, the safety/cocking mechanism ruined it for me..

regards
    griff

Mauser 03 and you will never look back!
    Handle the safety mechanism before you buy. It is German technology and safety is paramount! Still you do not need excessive force. The range of calibres is phenomenal. unfortunately it does not come cheap.
    Great if you travel alot.
    ATB

Griff,

My now 16 year old has no problem with it after two years using it. It is after all a cocking lever, not a safety catch.

We find that Guides/Stalkers/PH like it compared to a standard safety catch as they know that a round in chamber in the gun behind them is uncocked.

Loading/unloading is done with a safe rifle as opposed to most rifles requiring you to do this in the Fire position.

Once you understand how it works it is no strain.

As for the transportability it is excellent. My lad can easily "have a go" with larger calibres and still feel comfortable as it's the same weapon, just barking a bit more. I would not go back to a fixed rifle again (after my fist born). The only other Brand that I would consider is Sauer.

Stan

Iwrch,

To uncock you push the lever further right (more FIRE) this then allows you to easily press the button on the lower part of the bolt, all one single motion. This releases the spring pressure "as you then allow the tab" to relax into the uncocked (Safe) position.

To open the bolt in the uncocked/Safe position you move the tab slightly left/more safe as you then lift the bolt.

Everything is on the bolt.

Stan

Irwch,

On the Sauer 202 the rifle is on Safe by default. You would only use your thumb to depress the button when "about" to take a shot. You would already have a finger near the trigger.

If a shot is not taken you then use the "offending finger" to raise the same button upward to Safe. A physical cylinder movement (block) as opposed to sear/catch type...

I would prefer this to the classic safety I have on my Sako as you know that there is a protrusion in the trigger are which means live.

Bottom line is I still prefer the manual cocker on the Mauser M03 which I believe is the same as on the Blaser.

Stan

Iwrch,

May I ask have you handled one?

I suggest you do to make sure it's what you want. I would hate for you to save up the not inconsiderate sum then find out it feels wrong or something else is not as you dreamed it would be. I enquired about these when they first appeared and have the leaflet they sent me somewhere. To me they didn't feel quite right so I dropped the idea and I was in F/T employment then as well.

England, a large country south of the Scottish Border
    Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Irwch,

On the Sauer 202 the rifle is on Safe by default. You would only use your thumb to depress the button when "about" to take a shot. You would already have a finger near the trigger.

If a shot is not taken you then use the "offending finger" to raise the same button upward to Safe. A physical cylinder movement (block) as opposed to sear/catch type...

I would prefer this to the classic safety I have on my Sako as you know that there is a protrusion in the trigger are which means live.

Bottom line is I still prefer the manual cocker on the Mauser M03 which I believe is the same as on the Blaser.

Stan
    Stan, am I missing something here?
    I have a 3 yr old Sauer 202 classic, when I chamber a round it is ready to fire, I have to apply the safety, have they changed or has mine got a fault?

I have a Mauser 03 and am very glad that I bought it. It is so easy to change barrels and scopes and you don't lose zero either. In various forms it has accounted for most deer here in UK, lots of different things in Africa, Boar in Eastern Europe and Chamois in Austria. In short I love it and wouldn't sell it. They seem to have become more expensive recently so shop around - lots. I got my last barrel and mounts from Francis Lovell, they know the importer well and did me a pretty good deal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1297_1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	914
    If you do go ahead and buy one and have more than one caliber I recommend the factory case, it isn't cheap but is very good and strong. If you want anymore info let me know.

Best

Patrick

Thank you, Patrick. I already have my eye on the single barrel motor case .

That space in my cabinet now has a reserved sign hanging over it!
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\