Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalking with an HPR

Stalking with an HPR

out of curiosity... when stalking through woodland with an HPR do you
    • let you dog range few metres ahead of you
    • do you keep them with their hind quarters level with your knee,
    • do you keep them right back?

I've tried all three but find with my current GWP, that when she ranges ahead she stretches the limits and ends up bumping the deer (she was trained on birds before I got her and hasn't quite worked out that flushing isn't part of the game with deer), and when she is at heel she won't rode in.

She's coming up to retirement and I want to get things right with her apprentice!

Option 2 I'd say,
    that way (hopefully) she won't flush deer and she will be able to indicate Unshot deer (pointing).

Well imho I'd say range slightly ''few yards'' that way you can read ya dog easily without looking down at it all the time, but obviously depends on how dense your woodland is.
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Option 2 I'd say,
    that way (hopefully) she won't flush deer and she will be able to indicate Unshot deer (pointing).
    Definately agree. I stalk with 2 HWV's always have one 2 feet in front of me, so she is getting clean air. Wf1

I try and keep my lad right beside me or at most a meter or so in front, only issue i have is when he's in front he starts to range sometimes. I usually give a hiss or just stop until he looks back and I point down at my side which usually brings him back to heel. Can be trying sometimes though so best for me is to let him know the score as soon as we leave the motor.

Rgds
    Bryan

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Can be trying sometimes though so best for me is to let him know the score as soon as we leave the motor.

Rgds
    Bryan[/QUOTE]

Good point Bryan...my GWP is particularly "trying"! Particularly when she gets close to deer which I haven't seen yet - which is usually when she gets carried away. It is certainly easier to read the dog when its a metre or so in front - but you lose some of the control.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul 600 View Post
    Correct!
    I'm not sure if correct comes into it - I am more interested in peoples experience and actual practice....I get the impression that my GWP likes a bit of latitude to work the wind which she gets by being a little a head of me. Part of my problem is my current GWP started out as a bird dog and will only point when she is right on top of what ever has set her off...which as you can imagine ain't particularly useful with deer. If she pointed deer at heel it option 2 would be a lot more practical. As it is she will give an indication that there is something interesting ahead but it is very subtle and easier to see with her ahead of you. That said when I have been switched on and paying attention, she has roded me 200 metres through woodland on to fallow - which is always good!

They're really is no right answer it all depends wot u want out of ur dog and how u stalk.

The further forward the dog is probably make sit easier for dog and u but it also makes it easier for dog to 'pull on' esp if on scent, it may also create dominance issues esp with a strong headed dog.

Dunno how much ur dog has done stalking wise, so possibly teaching ur granny how to suck eggs here.
    All dogs will be different but many hpr's will not properly 'point' a deer at a distance the way they do a bird at close range but will indicate it by an other way so u have to read ur dog, and even that is sort of trained into them by association, so if its bumping deer and ur not not getting a shot/reward it won't really learn not to rode in and indicate as soon as it winds them.

Usually have my whv a couple of metres in from and when scents deer she behaves in a different manor to birds , with deer she will hold her head high sniffing quite intensely, if they are fairly close she just freezes staring into the trees , it really is about reading you dog ,atb Arron

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    They're really is no right answer it all depends wot u want out of ur dog and how u stalk.

The further forward the dog is probably make sit easier for dog and u but it also makes it easier for dog to 'pull on' esp if on scent, it may also create dominance issues esp with a strong headed dog.

Dunno how much ur dog has done stalking wise, so possibly teaching ur granny how to suck eggs here.
    All dogs will be different but many hpr's will not properly 'point' a deer at a distance the way they do a bird at close range but will indicate it by an other way so u have to read ur dog, and even that is sort of trained into them by association, so if its bumping deer and ur not not getting a shot/reward it won't really learn not to rode in and indicate as soon as it winds them.
    Well said
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!