Stalking with an HPR

View attachment 61634Ghillie on the bucks last night, had a good stalk with him yesterday after he ranged too far Earlier on in the week and flushed a good buck out of the whins which he then proceeded to chase until it disappeared into the tree line. He came back with his tail between his legs after that escapade!! Nevertheless he made up for it last night!

Just wanted to add to this thread to remember that though a dog that has been a bird dog and is used to shotgun noise remember that the shot is part of a process, the point, the bird being flushed, the gun to the shoulder, the swing, then the shot. There is a predicability for the dog of when the shot is going to happen.

With deer you are likely to be set up for some time & then suddenly for no reason (as far as the dog is concerned) your rifle goes off. As I prefer to stalk with an unmoderated rifle I am especially vigilant about sitting the dog behind me & I always say 'firing' just prior to the shot, just as I would if I had a person with me.

Last edited:
With Nandi, ou Lab cross Bavarian Mountain hound who is now just about 7 months old, I am working her on a lead and keeping her tail at about me knee. Given that I am left handed I am keeping her on my right hand side. As a very young pup she would walk to heel in my tracks, but as she has got older she started ranging too far. Also living in town I have no option but to walk her in parks with other dogs and she found other dogs and owners far more fun than her owner. And the recall was switched off.

We had her neutered three weeks ago and this offered a very good reset. 10 days of walking on lead and not being allowed to play has done the trick. She quietly walks on the lead, not pulling or panting. I have done a couple of stalks over the last few days and we have got into quite a few deer - all does with little ones. She is pointing them out and then sitting quietly whilst we spy them at 30 yards. She does sense when we are stalking and goes into stealth mode, but very conscious that she is still a a pup, so we have regular breaks and play session - where I don't think there will be any deer.

Recall is being sorted - I am appealling to the Lab part of her nature, and have a small handful of her food in a plastic bag in my pocket. One pellet after she has come back to my whistle, sat at heel and put her lead on seems to have done the trick. I am keeping her guessing - I don't use the treats all the time - the just reinforce praise. She spotted a squirrel off the lead yesterday, one whistle and she came straight to me.

But I do have concentrate with her - give her an inch the hound takes over. I do want her to work off the lead, and will slowly introduce this. But for the meantime I just want her steady and not chasing things.

She is also going to be a wild fowling dog - but that will come later.

Back