Jonny Kingdom

novice

Did anyone catch the piece with the wild boar in Kent?

I was interested to note the colour variations in the big sounder that came in. Do true wild boar display colour variations in the way fallow do for example, or does the presence of a light coat signify domestic blood?

I noticed that and also that at least one of her brood was showing the same colour tendancies. Again you have to wonder about official counts of boar in the various areas as, including the young, there were over 20 boar in that clearing.

As far as I know the Kent/Sussex population does contain a fair bit of domestic blood and I would think this the most likely source of the colour variation.

The guy taking Johhny kingdom round is a friend of mine, his name is Derek Harman. Derek has been studying these Boar for many years. They escaped from Tenterden during the great storm of 1987, and as far as I am aware they were all pure Boar from Poland.

There has been a light coloured one in the area for years, and three years back I sat with Derek in the same spot to watch the Boar. The wood is owned by the Forestry commission, and borders Paul McCartneys estate.

The rights to shoot the area have recently been sold to Kent Wildfowlers Association I believe. This is for Bird shooting only :eek: There are a lot of Boar in the area, and Dereks last estimation was approx 400 in a 5 mile radius :eek: and that was 3 years back.

The filming with Johhny Kingdom must have been done some time back, because the Forestry Commission made Derek take down the highseat :mad:

I have seen rubs and wallows that would make your eyes fall out in this wood, and some rub marks were getting on for 4ft high.

hiya,
i too saw some wild boar on tv last year and was intrigued by the colour variations in the individuals. i found a great site that has loads of pictures of wild animals with mutations in coat colour. its called messybeasts.com hope you find it intresting, heres a part to do with albinos which explains all the diffrent mutations which can result.

sikamalc said:
The guy taking Johhny kingdom round is a friend of mine, his name is Derek Harman. Derek has been studying these Boar for many years. They escaped from Tenterden during the great storm of 1987, and as far as I am aware they were all pure Boar from Poland.

Are there many outdoor pig units in the area? Having seen some of these set ups, it quite easy to imagine that domestic blood would end up in the local wild boar...

Pete, as far as i am aware all the Boar that escaped are Pure Wild Boar. There has been a strain of a light buff colour in the area since they escaped, and to my knowledge there are no pig units nearby, this applies to the boar on the Kent/Sussex border.

However there is another colony up near Folkestone, these original Boar escaped from John Aspinalls Zoo during the hurricane. These have mixed with ferals and there are all colours, shapes and sizes running around, although they get hammered quite a bit by locals with rifles I believe.

The sister Zoo near Canterbury is the zoo that has let the Wild Dogs out :rolleyes:

I met up with Derek Harman this morning at Wittersham for a chat and he tells me he has written a book on his experiences with the local Boar, the book is at the proof reading stage and will be available quite soon, it contains over 300 photos and gives a real insight into the Boar population on the Kent Sussex boarder.

Regards WB

I met up with Derek Harman this morning at Wittersham for a chat and he tells me he has written a book on his experiences with the local Boar, the book is at the proof reading stage and will be available quite soon, it contains over 300 photos and gives a real insight into the Boar population on the Kent Sussex boarder.

Regards WB

Thank you that's good to know. Derek is certainly an expert on the Wild Boar in the area and is a very likeable and approachable man, Please pass on my good wishes if you see him again.

This is 2 Boar i shot on Exmoor a few weeks back , they were causing a bit of damage in a chaps garden.Both are wild and different colours.

Kpf4v1A.jpg

13krMsp.jpg

I went out boar watching with Derek several years ago, had a brilliant evening. I would like a copy of his new book, maybe we should organise to sell them on here?

i'am a member of KWC did't know we had a shoot with boar on it ! mind you thay are all about the birds :rolleyes: prob a select inner few get to do them :eek:i'v requested deer and fox but always get a blank face return'd and the boss mr a jarrott sits within the basc' inner sanctum . still must't grumble ! we have ton's of marshes :stir:

There has been a light coloured one in the area for years, and three years back I sat with Derek in the same spot to watch the Boar. The wood is owned by the Forestry commission, and borders Paul McCartneys estate.

The rights to shoot the area have recently been sold to Kent Wildfowlers Association I believe. This is for Bird shooting only :eek: There are a lot of Boar in the area, and Dereks last estimation was approx 400 in a 5 mile radius :eek: and that was 3 years back.

The filming with Johhny Kingdom must have been done some time back, because the Forestry Commission made Derek take down the highseat :mad:

I have seen rubs and wallows that would make your eyes fall out in this wood, and some rub marks were getting on for 4ft high.

I used to be a KWC member till I moved out to Germany.
My Girlfriend in 1988 had previously had a dairy farm with her husband just around where the boar were active and remembered the storm.
But I was not then a hunter arghhh.
Hougham near Dover was supposed to have some boar but I have not seen any yet and I live parts of the year in Dover..
Martin

I used to be a KWC member till I moved out to Germany.
My Girlfriend in 1988 had previously had a dairy farm with her husband just around where the boar were active and remembered the storm.
But I was not then a hunter arghhh.
Hougham near Dover was supposed to have some boar but I have not seen any yet and I live parts of the year in Dover..
Martin

Typical, 20 years ago I lived in West Hougham :)

John

Johnny kingdom had a beautifull white boar on his ground in Devon which made the mistake of wandering on to my permission & now resides with me as have manny of its companions but there are still a few white ones within the groups that frequent my permissions, can't wait for this season to start, as there seems to have been good litters last year & this in my area.
I must admit my personal feelings for this man are not worthy of this site!

Back