Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gwp loss of hair

Gwp loss of hair

I Have a GLWP and he has a tendancy to loose his fur. He did it when he was slightly younger and I had him at the vet they took skin scraps etc and blood test and evrything came back negative Suprise suprise!!!!. His fur then grew back on its own. Then about 3 months ago he lost the fur of the top of his ears. I cant seem to find out whats wrong with him. He is very healthy and happy with everything in life. Hes a cracking tracker, its just he looks a bugger with no fur on his ears. Van anyone give any feed back or advise.

Try treating every 3 months with strong hold and in between treat with a spray on frontline.

Hi can't really help,but I have a GSP with a similar problem, in her case its her feet chest and sometimes her muzzle, like you had all the tests done all negative, its an allergy but the cause has proved elusive, tried different feeds, gluten free etc.
    Vet suggested that she would probably build up a tolerance to the cause as she grew older, but she is now five, and it still happens from time to time.

What do you feed now? There are certain foods on the market that are renown for causing skin problems. I cannot come straight out on the internet and say the main culprit but lots of problems in dogs can be altered by their diet.

Ian

I am feeding Harringtons at the moment,have also tried Burns,and a few others,with no real change, its not a continual
    problem, but occurs from time to time, her feet are the worst continually nibbling them, have considered that it might be environmental, but its not dependent on time of year or whether in the house or kennel, none of my other dogs are affected.

Hi,
    I get into a trade warehouse where I could buy Harringtons as soon as it came out aand I was feeding it and my dogs were doing well on it. Without telling aanyone they changed the formula of it almost withing weeks of the official launch. Dogs went down hill and ended up with kennels full of runny sh*t.

Lots of dog food conpanies are doing this at the moment. They upgrade the advertising, put real quality ingredients in, get your dogs looking good on it then without putting "NEW CRAP FORMULA2 on the bag they change it.

If I can, I feed raw. If I can't, even on the really expensive stuff I can see some of my dogs go down hill as not all foods suit all dogs. I have on dog that if I feed her anything other than raw or Eukanuba puppys she just has the shits.

Not all foods suit all dogs, it may well be that you haave to feed all your other dogs on Harringtons and the one dog on minced chicken, bones, tripe etc.

There is one make of foodd on the market and just about all pro dog trainers know it will cause your dog to have a skin condition!

Ian

Thanks for the information Briarquest, strangely enough was told about the change in Harringtons today[prior to your reply]

I have tried feeding cooked chicken etc. I might be old fashioned but as my dogs are dual purpose game as well as deer I am not keen on feeding bones or raw meat.

Hi,
    I have a friend who field trials quite succesfully. The only thing he does not feed to his spaniels is the game that he shoots. No problem with feeding raw chicken, beef, lamb etc. I feed a lot of turkey and chicken both carcasses and mince.

Dogs are so much better on it.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Briarquest View Post
    Hi,
    I have a friend who field trials quite succesfully. The only thing he does not feed to his spaniels is the game that he shoots. No problem with feeding raw chicken, beef, lamb etc. I feed a lot of turkey and chicken both carcasses and mince.

Dogs are so much better on it.

Ian
    Thanks for the info.