Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stutzen accuracy

Stutzen accuracy

Evening All,

I have modern stalking rifles with synthetic / laminate stocks.

I've started to hanker after a proper, traditional style, woodland stalking piece - low mag scope, leather sling, no mod or bipod.

I've long admired the look and feel of a stutzen and recently did some research into the price and availability of a Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine. I also like the Mannlichers.

I spoke to an RFD whose opinion I value. He advised against a stutzen (of any kind) on the grounds of poor accuracy. The suggestion seemed to be that they can produce a decent group one day, but the POI can change the next time out.

I'd be grateful for your experience of the accuracy of modern stutzens.

Cheers,

Bob

Ask your RFD for a little more detail about the stutzen HE/SHE last owned and shot with something approaching a degree of regularity.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Blaser K95 will tick all your boxes.

I think he'd had some trouble with rifles for customers, to the extent that he doesn't take them in PX.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    Evening All,

I have modern stalking rifles with synthetic / laminate stocks.

I've started to hanker after a proper, traditional style, woodland stalking piece - low mag scope, leather sling, no mod or bipod.

I've long admired the look and feel of a stutzen and recently did some research into the price and availability of a Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine. I also like the Mannlichers.

I spoke to an RFD whose opinion I value. He advised against a stutzen (of any kind) on the grounds of poor accuracy. The suggestion seemed to be that they can produce a decent group one day, but the POI can change the next time out.

I'd be grateful for your experience of the accuracy of modern stutzens.

Cheers,

Bob
    I hear you - I am wanting to invest in something a little different and special and a nice stutzen is definitely on my radar - maybe one step further for me though and stalk out to 100 with open sights. I can only think that your RFD has maybe only anecdotal evidence - a few chaps I've happened to talk to who own stutzens have had no such issues?
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

I don't have time to do this topic justice just now but if you search some old threads, you can see my load development for my Steyr Mannlicher 7mm-08 stutzen. It's more accurate than you'll ever need for stalking.
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

I would find another RFD ... One point about stutzen rifles is that they are not a target rifle and the poi may open up after a few rounds whilst zeroing as the barrel warms up but that can happen with any modern sporting barrel. I have a 30 year old BSA stutzen and it shoots sub inch still! Shot most of my Roe bucks with it this year and love it as it's a pleasure to carry being so light. I do use ear defenders and just have them on my head reaby to pull down when needed. Also they are out of fashion so some good bargains out there second hand.
    Last edited by Cris; 13-09-2015 at 07:49.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I think the RFD has had to sort out a few Stutzens for customers and has been put off as a result.

Re. the Blaser K 95, that Germanic style of engraving isn't for me. However, the one with the plain black action is lovely. Unfortunately I can't find a price for one anywhere, which means I can't afford it.

The best stutzen. Blaser k95 edition.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

I used a Steyr Mannlicher stutzen (Model L Luxus) for 20 years and initially it was a pain. Inaccuracy in them usually can be found with the stock/metal fore-end cap interfering with the floating barrel. Once the end cap and stock had been worked on to ensure no interference, the rifle was very accurate and never again displayed the shifting POI problem. Excellent rifles, lightweight and well balanced.
    Mine was .243Win. They are out there at sensible money and provided in good condition should give good service.

I parted with mine because once I'd bought my K95, that became the go-to rifle for all my needs.
    It all depends how much dosh you want to spend, but K95 stutzens don't come cheap and having said that would still be money well spent.
    If your budget is more modest, an SM stutzen should work well for you.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!