Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife sharpening

Knife sharpening

Can someone please advise me the best technique for sharpening a knife made from SF100 steel.

I've got a cheap fine/medium oilstone that works wonders for my knives, chisels etc.

Find an old school butcher its not a dark art but a skill or as above, on my good blades I use block paste and a leather patch and on the cheap ones I use a blade tech as it gets a working edge but it kills the blade so only use one on the 10 knifes or get a jig and use that.

How does the block paste and leather patch work?

I use water stones (400, 800 and 1200 grit) for sharpening my decent knives, finishing with a fine paste stone then take the blade edge burr off with a few wipes on a decent steel. Time consuming but it's not needed very often as once established, I can maintain a decent edge with the steel for at least a good few months normal use before the next waterstone edge maintenance is needed.

For my Mora and a few other cheaper knives, I carry a Bladetech. Does a good job of restoring a cutting edge but as the advice above, will ultimately destroy your blade so don't use it on anything you value!

There's some fancy guides around like the Lanskey ones which do make the job easier but if you select a true scandi-grind knife edge, they're easier to maintain using a water or oilstone.

The knife is a Stuart Mitchell and quite expensive, I tried sharpening it using water stones but could never get it as sharp as I wanted it. I ended us sending it back to him for a re-sharpen. Crazy I know but I didn't want to ruin it!

use a diamond stone ie DMT red and green grades (600/1200) plenty fine enough for meat processing

you can strop on a leatehr pad with paste to maintain between sharpenings

Do not take it any were near a Butchers Steel or a mechanical sharpener you will ruin it

Quote Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
    The knife is a Stuart Mitchell and quite expensive, I tried sharpening it using water stones but could never get it as sharp as I wanted it. I ended us sending it back to him for a re-sharpen. Crazy I know but I didn't want to ruin it!
    Check your PM.

cjs

You might find these helpful, sharpening/steel lessons from a butcher

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
    You might find these helpful, sharpening/steel lessons from a butcher

this is for butcher and chef knives (thin relatively soft Steel/Heat treatment and pretty much disposable ie wear out quickly over a few years ) DO not use these on High quality Custom blades