Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 17HMR CZ 452 accuracy?

17HMR CZ 452 accuracy?

Finally bought a 17HMR (brand new) and put it through its paces at the range yesterday.
    It's the 16 inch barrel version and was shooting CCI TNT hollow point at 100yrds.

10 shots bench rest were giving a 2 inch group. Slight wind but the group was quite evenly spread across the 2 inch circle.
    I wasn't trying too hard so might be able to trim it in but don't imagine by much.

To be honest I was pretty horrified at this as I can shoot my centre rifles (Sauers & Steyrs) into clover leaf groups all day long.
    Am I expecting too much or is this about it for a 17HMR?

Nothing wrong with the rifle - it's the ammunition which is not consistent - I'm having the same problem with a CZ452 and a Weihrauch HW66 in 17HMR (both 14" barrels)
    I'm now trying to source as many different types of HMR ammo to try to find the most consistent - but I understand that most of it comes out of the same factory

Cheers

Bruce

The fist rifle I had was a HMR CZ 452 (I still have it) and it shoots consistently about 1 -1.5 inch at 100m

I remember being happy with this when I first got it, since getting a couple of centrefire rifles (and even before homeloading) I was able to get easily sub inch groups at 100m and better now that I homeload. I picked up the HMR recently and shot a few groups and got 1.5 inch groups and like you I was really disappointed so I dug out some old targets to see how bad the groups had gotten from the first ones that I was happy with. I realsied that the groups were consistently 1.5 or so but I had got used to much better groups with my CF rifles.

As mentioned the HMR ammo is pretty bad for consistency and as its all pretty much identical and made in the same place its really a case of just dealing with it, unlike a CF where you can try different brands, weights, styles of bullets etc.

You can tinker with the rifle, trigger kit, bed it, check the barrel is free floated and try different ammo but even with all that the ultimate accuracy will be limited by the ammo.

I've all but given up on HMR because of the Ammo inconsistencies which is a shame because it's a handy little round for vermin control. CCI load most of the ammunition, although Winchester I think load their own. Whilst most of it, including CCI, Hornady and Remmington comes from CCI, each has specifics for bullets and load data as I understand it. Irrespective, none of the producers seem to check batches for variations so that they can group and sell with inconsistent batches being sold for plinking or whatever. The US goes through so much of the stuff that they haven't any motivation for tightening load specification or load batch grading. The end result is most batches you'll buy might (or might not!) shoot differently. I currently have several batches from 4 different makes and each box for each batch shoots differently within the individual boxes! My last Remmington Premier BT 17g cartridges shot sub MOA but the latest batch shoots 2.5 inches at 100 yds best. Winchester 20g I use is even worse with 6 inch groups typical for the batch I have. Hornady seems to shoot best in my rifle. Not the best groups but at least consistent.

I've now relinquished the HMR for close up work under 100yds but only in circumstances where it's more appropriate to shoot than the 22LR, and have put in a variation for .223 for longer range vermin control as I'm so sick of the hit or miss nature of HMR ammo. It's a crap round.

Just to add I did have it out last week and nailed a rabbit in the head at 126m from a highseat with a cold bore. I have toyed with the idea of changing it for a .22WMR but just haven't decided yet.

Many thanks for the comments.
    Used a 22 LR for years and finally gave up after hearing wonder stories about the HMR.
    My experience this last few weeks has been very hit and miss - some great 100yd+ shots and some wtf how did I miss that moments.
    My 177 HW100 shoots better.
    If I'd had nothing else I'd probably be happy. 2 inch groups if you're lucky. This is the 21st century and firearms are much better than this.
    It's not even a cheap round for long range plinking.

Have you tried the Hornady bullets? I use those they seem consistent and I've had no problems yet with them
    Last edited by Jdt; 13-09-2015 at 16:22.

Have shot loads of different batches with the CZ Thumhole 16" over the past few years and most have been under 1n1/4 inches and my mate has shot thousands of these rounds and as many rabbits as we could Tried CCI but these where a tight fit when engaging the bolt Now just use Hornady all the time 11 Quid a pop for 50 is not bad if i say so myself and the hmr gives that extra distance in the larger fields compared to the .22 rimmy

Just got back from a wee range session with the Weihrauch HMR using both Hornady 17 grain and Wichester 17 grain.
    Not much difference in accuracy - nothing better than 1 " at 50 yards and nothing worse than 2" at 50 yards from both types
    However, the session was stopped prematurely when one Winchester rounds would not eject and I had for gotten the cleaning rod, so couldn't remove it
    I checked all 36 fired cases and 12 of them were either cracked at the neck or split full length.

Cheers

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by mealiejimmy View Post
    Just got back from a wee range session with the Weihrauch HMR using both Hornady 17 grain and Wichester 17 grain.
    Not much difference in accuracy - nothing better than 1 " at 50 yards and nothing worse than 2" at 50 yards from both types
    However, the session was stopped prematurely when one Winchester rounds would not eject and I had for gotten the cleaning rod, so couldn't remove it
    I checked all 36 fired cases and 12 of them were either cracked at the neck or split full length.

Cheers

Bruce
    I got this problem too both with Winchester and CCI ammunition, with casings refusing to eject. I find that Hornady and Remmington loadings don't suffer from this in my rifle. It's odd because Winchester aside, the casings surely are all the same? Keeping the chamber spotlessly clean seems to help as it's quite a dirty round (power fouling wise).