Thread: Ruger M77 mk2 trigger replacement?

Ruger M77 mk2 trigger replacement?

Love the look, balance and simplicity of my new (to me) M77 Stutzen in .308, groups fine too, but the trigger is awful- just far too heavy. I'm thinking dropping a rifle basics or timney replacement in there is the way to go, and probably cheaper than having a gunsmith alter the existing. Any thoughts on that guys? I'm assuming it's not a gunsmith job and a competent DIY job to fit either kit?
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH123 View Post
    Love the look, balance and simplicity of my new (to me) M77 Stutzen in .308, groups fine too, but the trigger is awful- just far too heavy. I'm thinking dropping a rifle basics or timney replacement in there is the way to go, and probably cheaper than having a gunsmith alter the existing. Any thoughts on that guys? I'm assuming it's not a gunsmith job and a competent DIY job to fit either kit?
    Thanks
    I think you need to change it, its normal trigger is pants and the adjustment was made for thor the god of thunder.

get the rifle basix kit and if you are not sure of what to do there are a few you tube bits to watch how to change it and how to set it up. failing that get it into a rfd that you trust and it should not set you back more than 30 to have it done, if it does shop around for the right person at the right price,

regards

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I had a gunsmith work the original trigger on my mkii syn.243, took 10mins, 20 and it was fantastic to use thereafter.

I've installed a Timney on my Mk 2 in 350 RM . Very straight forward , you'll be able to easily install it yourself . I haven't tried a Rifle Basics trigger so I'm unable to offer an opinion . Be warned , once you start installing triggers on your rifles , it becomes habit forming lol . I'm up to about 12 now , with plans for more . I have become a trigger snob , except on my Lee Enfield No4 Mk 2 , I love the original two stage on that rifle . I'm sure you'll be happy with a Timney , they have excellent after sales service . I had a tang safety Ruger 77 that had been re-barreled in 358 W ( I'm starting to see a trend lol ) and had a Timney installed before I bought it . Unfortunately , the previous owner had played with the springs enough to make it unsafe . One phone call and Timney mailed me a complete spring kit for the trigger for free , they really are a first class outfit and their triggers are excellent . You won't regret installing one on yours . I hope this helps .

AB

I fitted a rifle basix into a friends Ruger 77 mk2. Fairly straightforward and works much better than the original.
    edi

I would also recommend the timney trigger and have fitted one myself. I wouldn't say it was straight forward replacement though. It has a ridge that marries up to the safety catch and you have to file it until it aligns perfectly. Get it wrong and you have an unsafe safety catch! Not rocket science but it helps if you have some experience with gun plumbing.

Thanks everyone- I'll give south Yorkshire shooting supplies a buzz about a rifle basix kit.

I've done some further research on this gentlemen, and thought it might be helpful to summarise that as my conclusion to this thread- any further comments welcome of course.

South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies (Rimfire magic) no longer supply centre fire Rifle Basix trigger kits, having had too many returned. They suspect slight rifle variations and user error (on installation) may be an issue but have had to take the decision nonetheless. Excellent service and advice from them on the point- out of hours too. They still seemed to generally recommend trigger kits over gunsmithing where that may be an unknown quantity (to some). They advised nearby Hannams Reloading may have RB and Timney triggers in stock- and they do. Of these two options I favour RB, which does not replace the existing sear (the Timney does) and which appears a much simpler installation than the Timney which will likely require some very accurate filing to ensure proper operation of the safety, and some minor stock inletting. This all from the installation instructions of both RB on Timney, available on their websites (RB also cheaper).

I spoke to Steve Kershaw who comes highly recommended and no doubt he could rework the existing trigger at similar cost.

Swillington Shooting Supplies (where I bought the rifle) view was that the existing Ruger trigger could be difficult to work on- they recommended the RB unit

I have decided to go with the RB kit and see how I get on, but very pleased to have made the Steve Kershaw connection. If he was more local to me and if I didn't need to get the Ruger zeroed this weekend (off to Scotland!) I might well have gone with Steve.

Hope that summary is useful to anyone considering the same.

Jim
    Last edited by JMH123; 15-09-2015 at 10:55.