Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PRVI Partizan 168gn .308 HPBT and their expandability

PRVI Partizan 168gn .308 HPBT and their expandability

Hi Guys,

When i got my .308 last year, it came with 260 round of the above.. So ive been using it and keeping the brass, ready to reload. Ive heard a lot about this ammo, mostly good. People mention about how for its price, it is cheaper than reloading. I myself thought it was great, not bad grouping for factory ammo. However, I was up on the range the other day and dug some of the rounds out of the bank side, some had expanded very well and others hadnt at all. I thought about it and put it down to the fact that some may have hit rocks and others may not.

I went out the other night and ended up shooting a fox and a rabbit. The fox was no more than 25yds away and there was an exit wound of around 1.5'' diameter, sort of what i would expect. The rabbit was 155yds away and when i picked it up, i could barely find the entry/exit on it. This I put down to being a lightweight target and it not being solid enough for the round to expand. Although when i have done the same with my .243 with soft points, they have expanded very well. (i understand the weight and speed have a lot to do with it).

This morning, i went onto my permission to check zero on the .308 (ive just adjusted the trigger) and put a target up on an old telegraph pole at 100m. I had 3 shots, the group was about 1.5'' which i wasnt overly impressed with, however, on the last shot, i noticed a plume of dust on the bank behind the pole and on further inspection, all three rounds had passed clean through the telegraph pole without deforming (very neat and small exit holes). I didnt manage to find the round in the banking.

Im starting to doubt the quality of the bullets and how well they expand.

Anyone else got any experience with this ammo? Ive got some hornady 150gn heads so will be loading a few of those up to compare.

Thanks in advance.

FFM
    Last edited by flyingfisherman; 05-05-2010 at 12:19.

Go with the Hornady, they make good bullets, I've been happy that all the ones I have used have worked as they were intended.
    It sounds very much like the 168gn Hollow point boat tail bullets are Match bullets for target shooting, and whilst it is plain to see that some target shooting hollow point match bullets expand, it seems that yours dont. Use them up on vermin.

Yeah dont think im going to risk wounding a deer with them. shame as ive got about 80 left!!

pull the heads and reload a better bullet?

Thing is that if im going to pull the heads, i cant really use the powder again as i dont know what it is, also the heads as discussed arent any good for stalking so may as well blast them off at bunnies and on the range. Or if theres someone who wants some cheap rounds for target shooting, ive got 80 left!

The 168g Prvi are sold as Match rounds, i use them on the range cost about 12 quid for 20.

I maybe assumed that being hollow points, that they would expand in a predictable manner.. Ho hum, they came free with the gun so dont stand me at anything.. Anyone want them in exhange for some brass?!

why noy use them for practise,then use them for reloading with the empty's you have. unless you dont reload.

well i could although i want to get on and reload them as the PRVIs are ruled out for stalking. Its what i will probs end up doing, take a load of guys from work to have a go and get rid of some rounds

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    Thing is that if im going to pull the heads, i cant really use the powder again as i dont know what it is, also the heads as discussed arent any good for stalking so may as well blast them off at bunnies and on the range. Or if theres someone who wants some cheap rounds for target shooting, ive got 80 left!
    I don't follow your logic there. Why can't you use the powder again? As long as the bullets you replace them with are lighter you shouldn't have any problems. Even if you were to replace them with 165 grain bullets, just reduce the powder charge by a grain or two and you should be good to go.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.