Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearms control in the news.

Firearms control in the news.

This mornings tv news showing news paper reports, of greater efforts needed to prevent shooting tragedies, HMMMN , wonder if the efforts to include mental fitness checks, will benefit the actual problem that exists within the licensing system at source?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Here's a link to an article on this , sure I don't have any of those firearms in the picture on my FAC...

Police Warned Of Gun Massacre Threat

Flaws in medical checks 'could lead to shootings, watchdog warns - Flaws in medical checks 'could lead to shootings', watchdog warns - BBC News

Looks like it's that time of year to start demonising us again!

Quote Originally Posted by caz518 View Post
    Here's a link to an article on this , sure I don't have any of those firearms in the picture on my FAC...

Police Warned Of Gun Massacre Threat
    I saw that and thought typical of Sky News and their sloppy journalism; scaremongering, bad research (weapons that have been illegal to hold for decades in UK shown - but good for their impact factor).

Migrant/immigrant news must be slow today since Germany seem to have taken a common sense pill, the BBC was a bit better

Flaws in medical checks 'could lead to shootings', watchdog warns - BBC News

Either way BASC and the like need to be on top of this straight away and by doing more than just releasing a statement. A complaint to Sky News to get air time would be more appropriate.

In the days of budgets being slashed the Police forces found waning will have to put more money into sorting out their end of the process and I personally think that GP's should be obliged to inform the Police of certificate applicants/holders having a change in mental health - some people might not like it but it's a way to nip problems in the bud.

I'll await the usual Facebook hand wringers starting petitions to end the public owning firearms in the UK, it will probably take till 10am as soon as an attention seeker see's a way of gaining a few 'likes'...

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    This mornings tv news showing news paper reports, of greater efforts needed to prevent shooting tragedies, HMMMN , wonder if the efforts to include mental fitness checks, will benefit the actual problem that exists within the licensing system at source?
    Just been talking about it on radio 4
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mick9abf View Post
    I personally think that GP's should be obliged to inform the Police of certificate applicants/holders having a change in mental health - some people might not like it but it's a way to nip problems in the bud.
    What constitutes a change in mental health?

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

It is an unfortunate fact that a great many people in the UK attempt to take there own lives every year. Neither the wish nor ability to do so is linked to firearms ownership.

This appears to be blatant opportunism by HM Inspector of Constabularies in an attempt to add further bureaucracy and expense to our already overly complex firearms laws. Other civilised nations successfully managed private firearms ownership without all the unnecessary inconvenience which the authorities seem to believe is needed within the UK.

In the past year rural crime has apparently cost 800 million, perhaps the police and criminal justice system should prioritise dealing with this.

atb Tim

And the photo attached to the sky news article shows weapons, all of which are illegal.

Better to be worried about all the migrants entering Europe with all their bags unchecked. If there is going to be a massacre, it is far likely to be done by a terrorist wielding an illegal assault rifle smuggled into our porous borders, than some dude who is in the doldrums .

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    What constitutes a change in mental health?

K
    I would say a clinical diagnosis of a mental illness, of which there are many; not all mental illnesses would prohibit or require a temporary revocation of a person from holding a firearm certificate.

It would really be for a doctor (which I'm not) to decide if a particular illness would require such on a case by case basis. Very hard to manage I'd imagine, the problem would be getting the medical profession to go on board.

I see Sky News online have now changed the photo on the banner from firearms illegal to hold in the UK to what appears to be a child being helped to load a shotgun by a person in tweed........