Thread: HMIC report - Curate's egg

SD Regular
    Easier to get a gun licence than to get a bus driving licence? Well if you are prepared to lie not at all difficult to get a bus drivig (or other similar licence)...as recent tragic events in Glasgow have showed, where six were killed by a bin lorry driver who witheld medical information on numerous occasions...this silly and crass supposition is flawed and no more than nonsense.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 15-09-2015 at 11:11.

"Easier to get a gun licence then to get a bus driving licence?"
    Maybe the public should also be made aware that it is also easier to become a police officer then it is to get a gun licence, since the acceptance of prospective police candidates minor criminal convictions was put in place.
    No such acceptance for prospective FAC candidates.

Ian.

Regular Poster
    Just started to read the report. Anyone else think that the fact that they have a section 1 shotgun as the illustration for the number of shotgun certificates in circulation under the heading 'key facts' brings into question their supposed 'expertise'? That is only the first page of course...

The one thing the state does not like is an armed populous. Far better we all keep shopping at Tesco and not inking for ourselves.

I heard a radio programming today a young man was stabbed to death in London, I think, they then dropped in that brings the number to 17 this year, good job the police are looking at us the could be wasting their time with knife crime rather than legal gun ownership or sorting the licence delays

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Just started to read the report. Anyone else think that the fact that they have a section 1 shotgun as the illustration for the number of shotgun certificates in circulation under the heading 'key facts' brings into question their supposed 'expertise'? That is only the first page of course...
    I was just about to mention that. You beat me to it.

I have just read the report. Yes indeed there are one or two inappropriate statements and a few uncomfortable ones too.

However there are some excellent recommendations as well.

For example, adequate staffing, consistency, guidance that is mandatory for police forces to comply with, proper training, oversight, etc.

If and it is a big if, all those type of recommendations were accepted and implemented, there would be huge benefit to those applicants who currently wait for many months for a decision.

At the risk of being considered a 'doom goblin', my experience of such recommendations is that they get kicked into the long grass by politicians and chief officers. We live in hope.

A Curate's Egg

I thought I'd post this in case the rather arcane description gave rise to the misapprehension that Anglican clergy were oviparous.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Curate'sEgg.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	647.0 KB 
ID:	61201

A bad egg is bad. The humour here arises from the junior cleric's diplomatic reappraisal of the bad egg being at least in part excellent, in order to avoid offending his host and boss, the Lord Bishop.

I'm sure it is an error to read too much into the reference made to the cartoon in this context, but we need to avoid seeing ourselves as so much beholden to the Authorities that we make similar reappraisals: lest we find ourselves forced to eat, as it were, the whole unpalatable egg.
    Last edited by Dalua; 15-09-2015 at 21:35.