Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: .204 Ruger reloading a few issues with kit Help please

  1. #1

    .204 Ruger reloading a few issues with kit Help please

    Well I am a happy chappy as now got my .204 its had a bit of a trial run with some factory 32 grns and appears to shoot well.

    So started to reload some new rounds last night. Have borrowed some Redding dies so thats ok. Using 39 grn Blitz kings and reloader 10x

    Firstly no reloading data on Alliants web site for .204.


    Have run varrious loads for Rel 10x and BL-C2 through quick load and they are much lower than stuff on web also lower than on published reloading data

    First issue my powder funnel is too big

    What do I need to buy and from where?

    Case trimmer, I use the standard Lee one for my .243/.223 but they dont appear to make one for .204 ruger. Paddy off here is going to machine down a 22 250 one but any other suggestions?

    COAL measured it and as previuosly noted vv long throat in fact bullet almost falling out of case when touching lands. Lots of conflicting advice on net as to length. Looks like my Savage mag will take up to 2.475 if need be. Have started off at 2.300. This seems to be a good length as bullet fully supported in neck of case.


    Anything else i should be aware of ?

    thanks

    D

  2. #2
    RL 10 isn't recommended for the 204. You can't make all powders work in everything.
    Pick a new powder.~Muir

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Well I am a happy chappy as now got my .204 its had a bit of a trial run with some factory 32 grns and appears to shoot well.

    So started to reload some new rounds last night. Have borrowed some Redding dies so thats ok. Using 39 grn Blitz kings and reloader 10x

    Firstly no reloading data on Alliants web site for .204.


    Have run varrious loads for Rel 10x and BL-C2 through quick load and they are much lower than stuff on web also lower than on published reloading data

    First issue my powder funnel is too big

    What do I need to buy and from where?

    Case trimmer, I use the standard Lee one for my .243/.223 but they dont appear to make one for .204 ruger. Paddy off here is going to machine down a 22 250 one but any other suggestions?

    COAL measured it and as previuosly noted vv long throat in fact bullet almost falling out of case when touching lands. Lots of conflicting advice on net as to length. Looks like my Savage mag will take up to 2.475 if need be. Have started off at 2.300. This seems to be a good length as bullet fully supported in neck of case.


    Anything else i should be aware of ?

    thanks

    D
    Powder funel I use a .20 cal SATURN funel purchased off here , I have seen them on Ebay
    Case trimmer I also machined down one of a different calibre
    Try loading to factory length and see how that shoots then tweek length from there
    I now shoot Zmax 32gr with 10 X , I did shoot a few hunderd 39gr SBK's and 24.7 gr 10 X was the sweet spot for my rifle.
    In fact from 24.5--24.9 all shot well .

    Good luck withvthe quest

  4. #4
    SD Regular bobjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tidworth/on here/or at Downton Abbey.
    Posts
    8,835
    Blog Entries
    5
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    2 loads available in .204 Ruger with powder equal Alliant Reloader 10X

    Two loads,

    40 gr and 32 gr

    I use a date trimmer from across the pond, works well and fits in the drill. I also use the Saturn 20 cal funnel, I have also used blc 2 powder in the past when helping my mate set up his 204'

    Njoy

    Bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

    Living with Lupus - YouTube

  5. #5
    Saturn funnel from Spud, trimmer from the US, (Little Crow Gunworks World's Finest Trimmer 204 Ruger) spud may sell these also. R10x 24.1gr 39SBK primer rem7.5 40thou jump was my sweet spot. I did run them at 25.1gr for some time but went back down to 24.1gr.

  6. #6
    32 gr bk N140 @ 24.6 is a good load for me.
    As is 39bk N140 @ 28.1.

    Funnel; knocked one up on the lathe.
    Case trim; use one of the Lee zip trim things... ok!

  7. #7
    204ruger.com rl10x is the powder to use with the 204,comes up over and over again.i think its quite normal to have a big jump in the 204.when i ran a tikka there was no way of reaching the lands.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by triggersqueezer View Post
    204ruger.com rl10x is the powder to use with the 204,comes up over and over again.i think its quite normal to have a big jump in the 204.when i ran a tikka there was no way of reaching the lands.
    Makes you wonder why Alliant doesn't recommend it.
    I load my 204 to recommended OAL. Shoots half minute and less in my CZ Varmint.~Muir

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    RL 10 isn't recommended for the 204. You can't make all powders work in everything.
    Pick a new powder.~Muir

    Muir, strange you think that way, I have found Re10x to be very good in the 204 and the 22/250.

    I'm using 23.2 grs of Re10x and 39 gr BK's and 40gr V Max's. Accuracy is very good.
    Brian.

    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Muir, strange you think that way, I have found Re10x to be very good in the 204 and the 22/250.

    I'm using 23.2 grs of Re10x and 39 gr BK's and 40gr V Max's. Accuracy is very good.
    I'm not saying it can't be used. I'm saying that Alliant lists no 204 data for it.~Muir

Similar Threads

  1. .204 Ruger Hornady brass: Quality issues
    By Cyres in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-09-2015, 09:42
  2. .204 reloading issues
    By Cyres in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 23-07-2014, 14:28
  3. For Sale LEE .204 Ruger die kit boxed brand new unused
    By trooper3.1 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-03-2012, 20:17
  4. For Sale LEE .204 Ruger die kit
    By trooper3.1 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 19:31
  5. For Sale CZ mags/Lee .204 Ruger die kit's
    By trooper3.1 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2012, 13:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •