New and first deer rifle

Xyla

Well, new to the site, new to deer stalking but not new to shooting though!

Ive just been and completed my rifle combo, steyr mannlicher Classic, sonic mod and zeiss 4-12x50 scope in 25-06 calibre.

Ive done so much reading on calibres for deer, I like the more 'unusual' calibres, having had a .223 WSSM, WMR and even the cute .17mach2 in the past, the 25-06 seems to fit my needs.

Any 25-06 reloaders on here? I'm looking at going down that route eventually.

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll find a few .25-06 reloaders on here. Before I bought my Blaser I had a SM Classic for three years & it shot extremely well.
Should do pretty well using IMR4350, H4350, Vit N160. Depends on what eight of bullet you select. 100gns will fly well & flatten any quarry in the UK.
Have fun.

I currently shoot a 25 06 and love it. It's smooth recoiling and hard hitting, and easy to shoot well. Decent factory ammo is availible but not cheap, and it's hard to guarantee a specific brand. I get some rounds reloaded for me by a mate and the velocities can be very high, so at close range they can be destructive especially with lighter more frangible projectiles.

Mine be will be rebarreled to 6.5x284 after the red season because I am shooting more reds and sika these days and I want to shoot 140's, but I will always have a soft spot for this calibre.

Before you rebarrel your .25-06, try a stout bullet like the Barnes 120-gr or the Swift Scirocco on your bigger deer.

Before you rebarrel your .25-06, try a stout bullet like the Barnes 120-gr or the Swift Scirocco on your bigger deer.

I will certainly take a look at them mate.

I feel at this point the hot 6.5 does fit the bill a little better, especially for heavy rutting reds, but I'm always open to ideas.

I currently shoot a 25 06 and love it. It's smooth recoiling and hard hitting, and easy to shoot well. Decent factory ammo is availible but not cheap, and it's hard to guarantee a specific brand. I get some rounds reloaded for me by a mate and the velocities can be very high, so at close range they can be destructive especially with lighter more frangible projectiles.

Mine be will be rebarreled to 6.5x284 after the red season because I am shooting more reds and sika these days and I want to shoot 140's, but I will always have a soft spot for this calibre.

I will certainly take a look at them mate.

I feel at this point the hot 6.5 does fit the bill a little better, especially for heavy rutting reds, but I'm always open to ideas.

I can agree a 6.5 does a fine job on heavy stags, I can also say with certainty, my .25-06 also does the business with the 110gn Nosler Accubond.
My last stag down was taken with the 110gn and weighed in at 300lbs with 14 points in the rut Oct 2014.
The Sierra 100gn Prohunter bullet is also an excellent choice for .25-06 & I've taken many red hinds and some stags using it.

Both calibres are absolutely fine on big reds, although there's more option for a heavier bullet with the 6.5.

I can agree a 6.5 does a fine job on heavy stags, I can also say with certainty, my .25-06 also does the business with the 110gn Nosler Accubond.
My last stag down was taken with the 110gn and weighed in at 300lbs with 14 points in the rut Oct 2014.
The Sierra 100gn Prohunter bullet is also an excellent choice for .25-06 & I've taken many red hinds and some stags using it.

Both calibres are absolutely fine on big reds, although there's more option for a heavier bullet with the 6.5.

Yep I agree. It's a fine cal in it's own right. Slightly heavier bullets are what I am after, but I wouldn't diminish it's killing ability-when the bullets are suited to the task at hand.

VERY jealous of the luxus BTW, I have a hankering for a fine break barrel!

Back