Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cocker Spaniel as a deer dog

Cocker Spaniel as a deer dog

My wife is currently bringing on a Cocker. She is training him for field trialling in the main.

Would it be possible to "dual purpose" and also train him for tracking (deer) ? If so when would be the right time to introduce this aspect to his ongoing training (he's 15 mnths old) or would this compromise his main purpose (Field trials)?

Like I say, he's not my dog he's the wife's but I would be grateful for any input.

Thanks

Ade
    Last edited by Ade8mm; 15-09-2015 at 16:01. Reason: spelling

Hi What's the wife saying about it? They have great noses very busy little dogs. Used to use them myself for beating, then went back to ess. Biggest problem I see is stopping it hunting and walking to heal of lead. They will follow blood trail no problem but might be conflict of interest between trial dog/ deer dog.
    Jim

Hi Rover.

As you can see from my location, I am away from the UK quite a bit (with work so I am somewhat removed from this) though in fairness it is not my dog so wouldn't want to interfere anyway. I do feel, however that an intelligent dog can never get too much positive stimulation and this might be a useful addition to his training. The dog has been getting some excellent training - this is ongoing The dog is VERY steady. and walks at heel unless given a command (usually!).

If he we're to be used and trained for tracking as well as the other stuff then this would be to follow up a casualty so the way I see it so long as said dog doesn't disappear into the distance never to be seen again if he wants to cast about etc that would not be an issue in this scenario.

What I was wondering is when would be a good point to introduce this discipline to his training regimen (if at all) and will the "dual purpose" end up as a compromise? If so best avoided.

I could always "get in closer before the shot" etc... Never had to follow one up yet but you never know… If I had more chance to stalk it will happen…A reality.

Ade

Quote Originally Posted by Ade8mm View Post
    My wife is currently bringing on a Cocker. She is training him for field trialling in the main.

Would it be possible to "dual purpose" and also train him for tracking (deer) ? If so when would be the right time to introduce this aspect to his ongoing training (he's 15 mnths old) or would this compromise his main purpose (Field trials)?

Like I say, he's not my dog he's the wife's but I would be grateful for any input.

Thanks

Ade
    Mine is 2 and sitting under my chair as I type! He has retrieved Pheasant, Partridge, Pigeon, Rabbit, Hare, Woodcock, Swam out for Mallard, Pintail. Potchard, Shoveler , Widgeon, Teal!!
    He sits with my Dad all day when I am out at work and keeps him company....
    When out all he wants to do is work the cover...
    Would he find a deer in cover...I would say yes...
    Would he sit still when I was trying to shoot one...
    NO!! lol

Love my lad to bits, he is a bit too forward which is my fault, however I would stick to the job in hand as they are born for that...

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Cheers Rover and Tim

I am getting the picture. Thanks. I won't press the matter.

Either way its good news for me, for the first 10 years of our marriage Mrs Ade8mm only tolerated shooting through gritted teeth! Now fully involved. She's even been for shooting lessons! … What next another gun cabinet ? (hers,) !!

Ade

I use a cocker for deer tracking myself , she has been used for beating / picking up for 4 years now solely for deer. She sits under high seat for hours with pheasants walking within feet of her and she doesn't move . I have tracked up to 12 hour tracks and she is spot on and 100% . Hardest thing is getting to push on with 10 metres of lead getting tangled but with encouragement she overcame that. Put the hours in laying tracks and keep dog stimulated and you can have an all rounder

if you train it you will be able to use it on deer mine at nine weeks his first deer.Attachment 61188

I use my cocker as a "dual purpose" dog, he was trained as a bird dog first and I gently started him on deer. He is a great worker but I wouldn't dare have him walking with me when I am stalking, its more the deer is down go back to the car/ house and get him. I taught him a different command when we are looking for deer and he does well enough for me.

I have never ran him on a cold track most have been <1 hour old, he has walked me to the deer no issue even when it has been one from a group and he just says with the downed deer.

The area where I shoot pheasants as a large population of fallow and on shoot days he never looks near them, he know what job he is there to do.

It depends what you want from him, he is unlikely to be as good as a proper tracking dog and a good field trialer but I have no doubt if you put the time in he will be able to do 99% of the work you need him to do.

from what you have said I don't know if it would effect is trailing work as my dog is a rough shooting dog.

Any question feel free to PM me

Andy7mm
    "Amazing things can happen when preparation meet opportunity" Richard Schatz

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

I use my cocker bitch as duel purpose , not a problem.
    If they want to please enough they will fit in to any situation.

Honestly. How good is the dog likely to be for trialling??
    Really quite hard to train a decent trialling dog esp with so many pro trainers now. So if it is going to be genuinely quite good probably not worth the risk of spoiling it for her.

Depending how experienced ur wife is at handling or training the dog, no doubt it could be possible but i'd bet it would be 1 of the only FT dogs that works deer. Most of the FT dogs barely work on game apart from in very controlled training enviroments.

Almost any dog can be trained to do almost anything with the right training but some are far more suited than others.

Does she train with any clubs/exp trainers? Might be worth asking them as they will know ur dog and ur wife. But most serious triallers the dogs are almost purely for trialling and would rarely be brougt to 'normal' shoots as too much temption/things to go wrong and its the failed/retired FT dogs they work in the field