Air rifles in Scotland

Steve7046

Already having an FAC and SGC I was going to ask a question about the legalities of taking an air rifle to Scotland after the new licensing arrangements come into effect. I found the answer on the BASC site. The answer makes no sense at all. If I am fine until my FAC and SGC are renewed, why then would I need a visitors permit after renewal? whats the difference?

16. I live in England but come up to Scotland to shoot the rabbits on my uncle’s farm with my shotgun, .22 rimfire rifle and my air rifle. Can I still come to Scotland and bring my guns with me?

When the legislation is in place you will still be able to come to Scotland with your shotgun, your .22 rimfire rifle and your air rifle up to the date when your Shot Gun Certificate, or Firearm Certificate, is renewed. After this date you will need to apply for a Visitors Permit for your air rifle, but not for your shot gun or .22 rimfire rifle.

Crazy indeed, but everyone in Scotland will need a license as will a visitor a visitors permit is nothing more than a short term license, £12 at the present time and you will need a a Scottish resident to sponsor you, they don't need to be a gun owner.

If you are visiting several times in the year you can get a permit for eleven months or so, all,visitor permits must be for less than a year.

Hi as far as I understand it. Us in Scotland with SGC/FAC will be fine and not have to do anything until renewal time. Then we will have to apply for it to be added on to our certificate.
Jim

I rang BASC to ask was there a need for a permit for my air rifles which are on my FAC, (.177 and .22). No permit needed apparently. So I guess the answer for anyone with sub 12 lbs/ft airgun is to apply to have an airgun on their next renewal and if granted enter their existing airgun on their FAC.
Mick

How many pellets should I request?
Do I need to specify wadcutter and hollowpoint separately?
I have a .177, but will I be able to justify a larger caliber like a .22?

It is utter nonsense. It was a law pushed through even in the face of overwhelming evidence from all concerned that it was not needed or wanted. It will cause an utter bureaucratic nightmare.

In response to the consultation -

[h=3]3 Top-line findings[/h]3.1 The respondents to this consultation (total 1,101) comprised four distinct groups:

• Those who opposed the licensing of air weapons in principle: (n=954, 87%). This group stated their clear opposition to the introduction of licensing for air weapons in Scotland. More than half of these respondents (n=570, 60%) did not address any aspect of the consultation questionnaire; their comments focused instead on their reasons for opposing licensing. Of the remaining 384 respondents, most disagreed with the Scottish Government's specific proposals as set out in the consultation document - often simply responding with "No", "Absolutely not", or "I disagree" and making little or no further comment in relation to individual questions. Only a minority of respondents in this group engaged fully with the consultation document and provided substantive comment and suggestions in relation to the specific proposals.
  • Those who supported licensing: (n=63, 6%). This group largely supported the Scottish Government's proposals as set out in the consultation document, though sometimes with suggestions for improvement.
  • Those who supported licensing, but wanted greater restrictions: (n=36, 3%). This group was strongly in favour of licensing, but disagreed with the Scottish Government's approach, as they felt it did not go far enough. This group generally advocated greater restrictions or a full ban on air weapons (and indeed other firearms).
  • Those who expressed mixed or unclear views: (n=48, 4%). This group generally made no clear statement of their views on licensing, but largely offered constructive comments regarding the Scottish Government's proposals.

And for those who shoot air rifles close to the border you had better be very clear where the border actually is as the penalties are pretty severe.

Much more worryingly though is that the SNP also very nearly got the law requiring corroborating evidence in criminal prosecutions changed to one of no corroboration. Ie you can be convicted on just one small piece of evidence. That fundamentally goes against all the tenants of our criminal justice system and right to fair trial etc.

So much for a democratic process!

Last edited:
So I guess the answer for anyone with sub 12 lbs/ft airgun is to apply to have an airgun on their next renewal and if granted enter their existing airgun on their FAC.

thats what I will be doing!
then winding up the pressure on the PCP to FAC levels!

The Police are already struggling to keep up with FAC & SGC applications,renewals and variations (my 'one for one' for my work rifle took 5 weeks!!)..... how are they going to cope?...... and,,, what is the point because it will only be us, the responsible firearm user that will declare having an air rifle in the first place!!. I just dont get it!!

The Police are already struggling to keep up with FAC & SGC applications,renewals and variations (my 'one for one' for my work rifle took 5 weeks!!)..... how are they going to cope?...... and,,, what is the point because it will only be us, the responsible firearm user that will declare having an air rifle in the first place!!. I just dont get it!!

But that's the whole point, you don't have to get it. The snp know best so just do as you're told.

Comrade Sturgeon and her friends dont care what you want ,theyve been elected to power,not to represent you and listen to you

power being the operative word.

They are wrecking the country. I hope that fellow countrymen wake up and vote them out of office and the Scottish elections, but I'm not holding my breath.

I rang BASC to ask was there a need for a permit for my air rifles which are on my FAC, (.177 and .22). No permit needed apparently. So I guess the answer for anyone with sub 12 lbs/ft airgun is to apply to have an airgun on their next renewal and if granted enter their existing airgun on their FAC.
Mick
Sounds like a simple solution :thumb:

Its quite staggering really, I can not see one ounce of logic in it anywhere, it will only serve to overburden police Scotland licensing even further than they currently are.

I reckon that if I owned an inner city industrial unit in Scotland I would immediately set up a shooting gallery/range (no paperwork needed under miniature rifle range exemption) and also buy shed loads of cheap bows, crossbows, catapults and throwing axes for resale to the local neds.

should have the SNP up in arms over that in a matter of days.

Under FOI I've asked if the Scottish government and the police have taken into account the likely rise in firearm licences and if they think this is a good trade off to get air weapons crime down.
Also if they have, how many new or additional licences they expect to be issued.
It will be interesting to see their perspective on this and see how wrong they will be.

if they can read your FOI request through their redmist .The people pushing this anti gun bias ignored all the evidence and petitions as theyd already decided what was going to be law and the populus be ignored.They are going after the shooting estates a la Robert Mugabe with taxation and landgrab schemes.What do they think the various tenants and estate workers will do when the estates are gone.They,l make private firearms either beyond Jo Public by financial or legal means .the majority they,ve received from the last election means they can do as they please for 5 years .sorry folks the slippery slope got an extra coating of oil at the last election.

Back