Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: The great (rifle) emigration debate...

  1. #1

    The great (rifle) emigration debate...

    I am going to the U.S. For a month at the end of this year. I have my PA hunting licence and and my form 6NIA so that I take and hunt with my own rifles.

    This has been planned for about a year now, and I am increasingly exited about the chance to experience a new type of hunting.

    Now, after two years of nudging, my wife has finally given way on the idea that we should consider emigrating there. She, and through her our two boys, are U.S. citizens, so it is eminently possible for us to do this. I of course have to wait to be given residence, but, that should be forthcoming (the paperwork is well advanced).

    She and the boys will stay on in the U.S. when our holiday ends on 30 December, I expect to work in the UK for a period of time, and will join them as soon as I am able.

    Is it worth trying to import my rifles, is it even possible? Or should I sell them in the UK and use the funds to buy again in the U.S. ?

    The rifles themselves are common, 308 Win Rem700 and .22LR CZ452, but LH bolt, which is what gives them any real value.

    What do the combined wisdoms here 'reckon?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftHandGuy View Post
    I am going to the U.S. For a month at the end of this year. I have my PA hunting licence and and my form 6NIA so that I take and hunt with my own rifles.

    This has been planned for about a year now, and I am increasingly exited about the chance to experience a new type of hunting.

    Now, after two years of nudging, my wife has finally given way on the idea that we should consider emigrating there. She, and through her our two boys, are U.S. citizens, so it is eminently possible for us to do this. I of course have to wait to be given residence, but, that should be forthcoming (the paperwork is well advanced).

    She and the boys will stay on in the U.S. when our holiday ends on 30 December, I expect to work in the UK for a period of time, and will join them as soon as I am able.

    Is it worth trying to import my rifles, is it even possible? Or should I sell them in the UK and use the funds to buy again in the U.S. ?

    The rifles themselves are common, 308 Win Rem700 and .22LR CZ452, but LH bolt, which is what gives them any real value.

    What do the combined wisdoms here 'reckon?
    Remingtons are a dime a dozen here -lefties 25 cents a dozen. The CZ 452 has been dropped so getting another in left hand might be a chore. I'd keep that one.~Muir

  3. #3
    I'd probably sell here and buy over in the USA.

    if you do sell here I'd be interested in your LH .22!!!!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Remingtons are a dime a dozen here -lefties 25 cents a dozen. The CZ 452 has been dropped so getting another in left hand might be a chore. I'd keep that one.~Muir
    Roger that!
    And there are many older Model 700 ADLs and BDLs which are, to my mind, nicer than new.
    Also, you will find a huge selection of classic Model 70s, old Sakos, nice custom rifles built on Mauser 98 and 1903A3 actions which are now passing from the hands of the WWII generation. So think of owning as many rifles as you can afford, with no justifying them to anyone in Pennsylvania or any state where you would hunt.

    Deer season is short there, so make plans to hunt nearby states, depending on your location in PA: West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, New York. The mountains of PA at the NY border are a good, remote area, full of hunting for big deer and bears.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Remingtons are a dime a dozen here -lefties 25 cents a dozen. The CZ 452 has been dropped so getting another in left hand might be a chore. I'd keep that one.~Muir
    Useful to know, thanks...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    I'd probably sell here and buy over in the USA.

    if you do sell here I'd be interested in your LH .22!!!!
    Also good to know...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Roger that!
    And there are many older Model 700 ADLs and BDLs which are, to my mind, nicer than new.
    Also, you will find a huge selection of classic Model 70s, old Sakos, nice custom rifles built on Mauser 98 and 1903A3 actions which are now passing from the hands of the WWII generation. So think of owning as many rifles as you can afford, with no justifying them to anyone in Pennsylvania or any state where you would hunt.

    Deer season is short there, so make plans to hunt nearby states, depending on your location in PA: West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, New York. The mountains of PA at the NY border are a good, remote area, full of hunting for big deer and bears.
    I'm not brand conscious, but the only way I would buy a non-left hand rifle would be if it was an ex service rifle that I particularly wanted (such as a K31 for example...).

    I am VERY much looking forward to being able to own the firearms I deem to be appropriate, as opposed to what someone else tells me I can have. Possibly. If I'm good....

    We will be staying with my in-laws, who live in the Pocono mountains. I doubt that I'll be able to spend so much time hunting that I'll get to go out of state. But, if all goes to plan, by the new year we will be living in the same area, so hunting season 2016 should be a whole new story.

    On the whole, I'm guessing that I'll sell my rifles when I get back home, and buy again in the U.S. The exchange rate will hopefully still be my friend by that time....

  8. #8
    Good luck to you and your family on starting a new life in the States. I had a similar opportunity to move to Canada and as a foolish youth didn't take it. All the best mate.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodlander View Post
    Good luck to you and your family on starting a new life in the States. I had a similar opportunity to move to Canada and as a foolish youth didn't take it. All the best mate.
    Thanks Woodlander. We have the opportunity, through my wife, to do it a little easier than most, so I think we'd be mad not to at least try it. Our month in the U.S. will give us a pretty good idea as to whether it's the right long term decision, but I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that!

  10. #10
    I moved 20 months ago to the U.S. With work and loving it you won't look back. Not yet moved the collection over from the UK but plan to do so. I bought a left hand savage .22rf for plinking just as accurate as the CZ and cost me $245 with a $25 rebate so would not worry about bringing the .22 and as for a centre fire check out the Tikka T 3 thread or Blaser R8 package rifle, mount, scope, case $4000 in stock calibre of your choice now moved on to crossbow hunting and off for my first black bear at the end of October. Oh and the family loves it here to result.

Similar Threads

  1. Another calibre Debate!!
    By Highlander in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 22-03-2014, 22:01
  2. Great for carrying a heavy rifle!
    By Jonher in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 18-02-2011, 18:50
  3. Firearm Law Debate.
    By Joshua in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-12-2010, 22:26
  4. Did I miss a debate at all
    By simon t in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15-06-2010, 22:55
  5. Interesting Debate
    By Bradley in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 20-08-2007, 19:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •