Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security of rifle for a few days between purchase and getting home

Security of rifle for a few days between purchase and getting home

I'm lining up a private purchase from someone down South and logistics mean I could be in their neck of the woods at the start of a weeks holiday. But doing it that way once I receive the gun from them I'd then have 5 days in a rented holiday home before we return to Glasgow.

What's the legal situation covering that time I'd have the rifle in my possession but before I'm home and can secure it in my cabinet? I know I've got 7 days to notify issuing force of filling the slot on my ticket, but not sure if what I'm planning is a bit ill advised from a legal/practical point of view with regard to storage and security.

As usual any advice will be much appreciated!

Andy

Simple, treat as if you were on holiday and brought the rifle. Ie. bolt and ammo separated, rifle locked away in car boot or secured to radiator in house with proper reinforced steel wire lock, etc.

Just email your local force informing them of the acquisition within the 7 days of course.

There are two types of shooters - the fulfilled and successful ones - with a 7 X 57 and those poor souls who have not yet decided to get one!

SD Regular
    For the few pounds that you save is it really, really, worth the bother? The solution however is probably to collect it from the person "down South" and then post it to yourself after they have entered it on your FAC.

That way you have satisfied "face to Face" as you have taken possession of it before posting it....or the other simple solution would be to ask an RFD down South if you could drop it off there on the way to the holiday home and pay them to store it for a few days for payment in cash.

Fulton's at Bisley will do this and they are open seven days a week.

Have a look in the home office guidelines - sticky at the top of this Legal Section - all should have a good understanding of this.

Key section is the security bit Chapter 19 - this outlines storage at home, but also when travelling, transporting or when staying away. Key para is as follows.

1. 19.53. Considerations when firearms are being taken to venues involving overnight or longeraccommodation include:

1. a) Obtaining accommodation which provides secure facilities (some hotels offer thisservice) but the certificate holder (whose responsibility it is) should satisfy himself thatno unauthorised person has access to the security, for example by having spare keysto a cabinet;
      2. b) Separating and retaining possession of integral parts of the firearm to prevent it beingused; or
      3. c) Using portable security devices, such as security cords.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    For the few pounds that you save is it really, really, worth the bother? The solution however is probably to collect it from the person "down South" and then post it to yourself after they have entered it on your FAC.

That way you have satisfied "face to Face" as you have taken possession of it before posting it....or the other simple solution would be to ask an RFD down South if you could drop it off there on the way to the holiday home and pay them to store it for a few days for payment in cash.

Fulton's at Bisley will do this and they are open seven days a week.
    post it to yourself?

surely just keeping it with you is going to be a lot simpler and will be less risk of going missing or being damaged.

Why not pick up the gun at the end of your holiday?

Ian.

Picking up the gun at the end of the holiday seems good, if that's feasible. You may also consider lodging it with an RFD where you will be holidaying for a week. I can't imagine it'll be too expensive. That may reduce the worry of you having it while you are doing holiday type things, so may be worth it for that reason alone.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with keeping hold of it so long as you take the usually accepted precautions, keep it locked away and have the bolt on you, but the way I'd look at it is to consider what is the safest option, which might bring you back to lodging it at a local gun shop.

My frd charges 2 per week per gun for storage...true this may be the rate for long term storage but if it were say a 5-10 charge it would be worth it for the peace of mind and also for those on holiday with you...Hugh.

Trip starts down there for a family do then it's halfway back up north for the rest of the week so needs to be done first. Will look into local RFD option as I'd feel better with that I think.

cheers

andy

If I stay away from home with my rifle I put a cable-lock through the action, put the rifle in it's slip with the ends of the lock poking out, then fix it to something sturdy (e.g., water pipes) in an out-of-the way location (spare room / airing cupboard etc), covered over with a blanket or something.
    Bolt stays in a pouch on my belt;
    Ammo locked in the car.