Thread: .22LR - Magtec v RWS v Remington Ammunition comparison.

.22LR - Magtec v RWS v Remington Ammunition comparison.

I was given a box or RWS .22 LR Sub-Sonic ammunition to try in my rifles so decided to put it to the test up against my regular Remington ammunition and some Magtec which I had in my ammo safe. Both the Magtec and the Remington were Sub-Sonic Hollow Points, the RWS however was solid point so I would not have used the RWS on live quarry anyhow.
    The ammunition was tested using my Voere 2115 which is fitted with a SAK moderator and an unbranded (Cheap - 20 from Ebay) 3-9 X 50 scope. The rifle was shot off the bipod resting on the bonnet of my car at 55 reasonable "man sized" paces. The targets are 3 inch Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C targets which were stuck on 9 inch cardbopard picnic plates (Cut up for ease of scanning) and set side by side in a quarry with a very safe backstop.
    The results of this test both surprised and pleased me by showing that the most expensive is not always the best for your particular rifle.
    The most expensive or the three types of ammunition (RWS which was given to me F.O.C. so I can't state a price) gave the largest group and the Magtec (Which I was getting for 6.00 per box of 50 rounds) only gave a marginally better group - But still not acceptable for live quarry. However the cheapest ammunition (The Remington Sub-Sonics - Which I get for 6.00 per box of 100) gave a quite acceptable group so I have decided that these are what I will be using for my rabbit lamping throughout this Autumn/Winter while using the Voere! I ought to add at this stage that my BSA Super Sport 5 also groups extremely well (1 inch @50 yards) with Remington Sub-Sonics!
    It should be noted that the one "flier" with the Remington was me - I "pulled the shot" and and will not try to make any excuse for it!
    All shooting was done without any alterations to the zeroing of the scopes, however I have now adjusted the scopes by 4 clicks up to raise the POI @ 50 yards by a half an inch which should be perfect for head shooting rabbits.
    The targets for the RWS and the Magtec are only 5 shots as they were simply not grouping well but the target for the Remington is 10 shots as I was so happy with it.
    Here's the results, any thoughts or comments and what's your favourite .22LR ammunition for "Bunny Bashing"?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ammo test.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	61261

Its a case of seeing what is best in your rifle. My annie is deadly with 40 grn eley subs, however magtechs are almost as good and with such a big nose cavity are just excellent on magpies and crows.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Its a case of seeing what is best in your rifle. My annie is deadly with 40 grn eley subs, however magtechs are almost as good and with such a big nose cavity are just excellent on magpies and crows.

D
    I used to use nothing but Magtec in my "Annie" and the rifle loved them! As you quite rightly say you have to find out which ammo works best in each individual rifle. and sometimes that takes time and patience! I guess that I can count myself very fortunate in the fact that both of my rifles like the cheaper ammo rather than all of these sometimes quite costly "diets"!

Somehow now I have centre fire rifles all Rimfire ammo seems a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    Somehow now I have centre fire rifles all Rimfire ammo seems a bargain.

I have to agree with your there but some bargains seem to be better bargains than others!
    Fortunately my .270 is more than happy with PPU which I get at 9.50 per box of 20!

Eley subs I've found good and last outing to check zero resulted in a one inch group at 100 yds (Ruger 77/22 and all weather stock & SAK mod). I have some Remington subs now only because that's all my local RFD had last time out so will try them for comparison. As with all these comparisons, what works well for you in your rifle may not work well for someone else in theirs, so it's a matter of doing what you did, trying a mix then sticking to the ones which shoot best. Must admit though, I'd be expecting a little tighter than 2 inches at 50 yds, so perhaps worth trying a few more brands?
    Last edited by ChesterP; 19-09-2015 at 16:33.

Did a similar test on my 22LR HW66. Magtech came second on list on expanding subs behind Eley. RWS, Rem., Win, CCI were all awful, truly awful.
    Not really satisfied with any of the expanding subs, so going to try Eley match.

Using match bullets on purely head shot rabbits has been discussed on quite a few forums.

Quote Originally Posted by lambic View Post
    Did a similar test on my 22LR HW66. Magtech came second on list on expanding subs behind Eley. RWS, Rem., Win, CCI were all awful, truly awful.
    Not really satisfied with any of the expanding subs, so going to try Eley match.

Using match bullets on purely head shot rabbits has been discussed on quite a few forums.
    Some time ago I carried out a short test with six different brands of .22lr ammunition, 3 HP and 3 solids, all sub-sonic. They were shot at 65 yards in field conditions (windy ). The Eley Tenex was undoubtedly more accurate but about three time the price of all the others tried.

All 30 shots, fired consecutively would have hit a golf ball at 65 yards including the flyers.

Video and results

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Some time ago I carried out a short test with six different brands of .22lr ammunition, 3 HP and 3 solids, all sub-sonic. They were shot at 65 yards in field conditions (windy ). The Eley Tenex was undoubtedly more accurate but about three time the price of all the others tried.

All 30 shots, fired consecutively would have hit a golf ball at 65 yards including the flyers.

Video and results
    The world of head shooting rabbits with match bullets must be a small one, I have seen your video somewhere before. I am not sure I can justify the tenex when I can use a FAC Air for about 3 pence per 0.25 pellet, so the Eley match will be my first port of call.

Thanks

I have found magtech to be fairly accurate to about 50 m and work well in most semi autos, with a large "hollow" point they are hard hitting as well. But you do get the odd one that lets of a fair crack.