Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel Cartridges For Geese

Steel Cartridges For Geese

What sized steel shot would you folks reccomend for Geese? I've only ever shot them over stubbles in Scotland before so I've only used lead before. Any advice is very welcome. Thanks

Jonty

I couldn't recommend steel try bismuth or heavyshot no.3

If you are out on the marsh and 4 shots would be a good outing go for one of the best available winchester blindside. Steel is fine if you are decoying in to limited range - give John Forsey in Welling a ring he speaks wildfowling.

Lead shot is illegal over here, so most people use steel. The general rule is to use one size up compared to what you'd use with lead.

I haven't tried them myself yet, but one of my friends swears by Federal Black Cloud.

if you do go with steel i can not stress enough how poor it is compared to lead i will always remeber shooting a pintail in poole harbour whilst ouit with dorset wildfowlers i brought her down with one shot but she still had a good amount of life left in her i then shot her twice whilst she was on the water as the guide rowed out to her as it wasnt safe for the dog i hit her centre pattern both times at around 25-30yrds and then we still had to dispatch her when we got to her, i would strongly advise you look into other options compared to steel, i know it isnt cheap but i think you will enjoy you day more

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    if you do go with steel i can not stress enough how poor it is compared to lead i will always remeber shooting a pintail in poole harbour whilst ouit with dorset wildfowlers i brought her down with one shot but she still had a good amount of life left in her i then shot her twice whilst she was on the water as the guide rowed out to her as it wasnt safe for the dog i hit her centre pattern both times at around 25-30yrds and then we still had to dispatch her when we got to her, i would strongly advise you look into other options compared to steel, i know it isnt cheap but i think you will enjoy you day more
    I don't know when this was, but steel cartridges have improved no end over the last few years. Steel shot is even used on roe over here (at a max. range of 20 metres).

36 gram Steel BB's or No 1's for geese.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    if you do go with steel i can not stress enough how poor it is compared to lead
    But Dr John Harradine said at a wildfowling conference that he had used both and could not tell the difference.

Up here at the basin in Montrose, it's been noted that a huge increase in pricked birds compared to before lead ban ,
    Nothing scientific just personal observations & discussion with others ,
    Still doesn't matter what your using when your watching others taking potshots at geese in the ionosphere !!! Birds that should never have had a gun lifted to them

Gamebore 42g bb's I use always kill very well even at range