Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open certificate request

Open certificate request

Hi guys, I am in the process of filling in a variation for my firearms certificate and also want to take the opportunity to request that my condition of use for my current rifles (deer and and AOLQ plus rifles for vermin control) also be "opened up" ie an open certificate. I have had rifles for the condition of stalking now for over two years plus I have had rifles for target shooting for many years.

My question is what would be the correct wording to use for this request.

many thanks.
    Last edited by paultap; 18-09-2015 at 20:34.

Regular Poster
    I would like the closed condition removed. That said, my FEO came over and dictated an email for me to send back to him. I'm hoping my licence will be open when it comes back soon

I had my FAC "opened" after a year with .22 - just wrote a letter asking for the restriction to be lifted to enable me to shoot on any land where I had permission to use this calibre of firearm, and which I considered suitable. I gave a reason, i.e., to enable me to carry out pest control for neighbouring farmers.
    After this I applied for variation for .243 and was given "open" conditions from the very start.

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    I had my FAC "opened" after a year with .22 - just wrote a letter asking for the restriction to be lifted to enable me to shoot on any land where I had permission to use this calibre of firearm, and which I considered suitable. I gave a reason, i.e., to enable me to carry out pest control for neighbouring farmers.
    After this I applied for variation for .243 and was given "open" conditions from the very start.
    So the request is not regarded as a "variation" so was not subject to form and fee?

As I understand it, a change of condition is not chargeable and there is nowhere on the application form to ask for a change of condition so this has to be requested separately .

Quote Originally Posted by Greymaster View Post
    So the request is not regarded as a "variation" so was not subject to form and fee?
    No, I just wrote the letter and sent it in, together with my certificate. A short while later it was returned to me with the requested change having been made.

Regular Poster
    Contact your FEO - worth building a rapport with them anyway

First thing is think "why do I need it open?" Once you have thought of this you'll have Al the answers and as Spandit said, speak to your FEO and explain this and they'll guide you as to how they want you to ask and if you'll need to add any justification or if they'll just open it.

id had my FAC less than a year and so had to write a little diary as such outlining a few excursions and what I had done to ensure all shots were safe and why I hadn't taken some unsafe shots. The reason for me having my cert opened was I had been getting a few invites out to uncleared pieces of land, was picking up new ground quite quickly and two main places had a "shooting from an elevated position only" although there were plenty of safe places to shoot from the ground.

When i first got my fac it was closed.... i wrote to the flo and explained my background and that i also shoot on other land...talked about safe backstops understanding topography .. it came back open within 3 days....so if you dont ask you wont get....
    .22lr, .22lr .222, .223, .243, .270, .308 , 12g fac, 12g, 12g, 12g, 12g
    and still growing.....

Thanks for the advice guys.