Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great service from RFD Retailers.

Great service from RFD Retailers.

So, time for another rant at my experience with UK RFD retail shops.

Trying to buy a Meopta Artemis 7x50 IR I emailed my local RFD for a quote. He actually replied (in itself quite a thing!) and said he would get back to me. 4 Weeks later he hasnít. So now I have bought this scope from a National multiple-site Retailer, who promised me he would supply in 7-10 days, but it actually took 6 weeks and Ĺ dozen reminder calls and emails.

Trying to stock up on amo (.17HMR; .243W and .308W: not exactly obscure, never heard of calibersÖ) I emailed my most local retailer asking if the required amo Brands were available. No reply. A week later I forwarded the same email to him again. No reply. Slightly pissed off I drove to another local RFD that used to stock the .243W I was looking for. The conversation with the lady in the shop went as follows:

Me: Do you have any Federal Power-Shok 100 Grains in .243W? Answer: We havenít had any .243W in stock for at least 6 weeks. Me: Oh, why not, is there a supply issue? She: No, we just havenít ordered any in. Me: What a shame, donít you sell a lot of them? I have been buying them from you for the last 5 yearsÖ She: Yes, we have had loads of people asking for .243W, but we havenít ordered any in. Me? Oh, why not? She: Shoulder shrug. Me: Well, I will have to drive to another local RFD and get them from themÖGood afternoon. BTW this is the same shop that couldnít be bothered to quote me for a CZ 453 17HMR, and couldnít be bothered to quote me for a Howa 1500 .243W, even after several emails, calls, a letter to the owner, and a shop visit.
    So after another 30Min in the car I arrive at RFD No. 2 , the one that hadnít replied to two of my earlier emails asking if he could supply me with amo. After pleasantries the conversation with the gentleman in the shop went as follows: Me: Did you get my emails asking for .17HMR, .243W and .308W? He: Oh yes, I vaguely recall them. Me: Oh, so you did get my emails. Why didnít you reply? He: Oh, sorry, didnít I? Me: No you didnít. Neither did you follow up our email conversation re. a Meopta Artemis 7x50. Donít you want to sell things to your customers? He: Didnít I get back to you? Me: No, you didnít. So now I have bought it elsewhere. Ok, letís move on. Do you have any Federal .243W SP and Target amo, and .308W SP and target Amo? He: I donít do Federal, but I can sell you Winchester Super-X. However I donít do any target amo, not in .243W neither in .308W. Exasperated I purchased 2 boxes of Winchester Super-X.

Neither RFD offered me to order the required amo in for me; both have missed sales opportunities on multiple occasions; and both donít really deserve my future custom. Both shops seems to carry stock heavily biased towards tweeds and smart wellies, no doubt the margins on clothing are a lot more interesting, and/or they are not actually in business to develop a sustainable long-term relationship with a customer who returns on a regular basis; and/or they donít actually want to sell goods and achieve a profit, which I believe is the reason why most people start a business. But not these RFD's...
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Pretty poor service.
    in the light of your experiences might be worth a phone call before you bother driving there tho?

Erik

Ive had the same experience as you. I run my own business (nothing to do with guns etc). I understand the importance of answering the phone, returning emails, giving customers a price and keeping a decent stock.

After asking my local RFD for a price and availability on a 2K + scope repeatedly (5 emails and 3 visits) over a 2 months period, I gave up trying to support them. I shopped around with other RFD's but had the same experience.

I contacted a company in Slovenija, they informed me during the online purchase that the scope would be delivered to me within 2 to 4 weeks.. The company answered all of my queries via email within the hour of clicking the send button and the scope was delivered after only 1 week,,, It was exactly what I had ordered and very well packaged.... I know where I will be buying my next scope from.......
    ATB
    Day

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    Erik

Ive had the same experience as you. I run my own business (nothing to do with guns etc). I understand the importance of answering the phone, returning emails, giving customers a price and keeping a decent stock.

After asking my local RFD for a price and availability on a 2K + scope repeatedly (5 emails and 3 visits) over a 2 months period, I gave up trying to support them. I shopped around with other RFD's but had the same experience.

I contacted a company in Slovenija, they informed me during the online purchase that the scope would be delivered to me within 2 to 4 weeks.. The company answered all of my queries via email within the hour of clicking the send button and the scope was delivered after only 1 week,,, It was exactly what I had ordered and very well packaged.... I know where I will be buying my next scope from.......
    ATB
    Day

So I am not alone!
    I have purchased scopes and a thermal viewer abroad, in particular the Euro-zone offers some bargains right now, and what appears to be generally superior customer service. However I like to give my local RFD's an opportunity to quote, and if their quote is not competitive, than confront them with the Eurozone prices, to negotiate a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Pretty poor service.
    in the light of your experiences might be worth a phone call before you bother driving there tho?

I'll call you about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    So I am not alone!
    I have purchased scopes and a thermal viewer abroad, in particular the Euro-zone offers some bargains right now, and what appears to be generally superior customer service. However I like to give my local RFD's an opportunity to quote, and if their quote is not competitive, than confront them with the Eurozone prices, to negotiate a discount.
    I don't mind paying more at a local RFD, I understand that online business's can and do sell cheaper than most shops. But in order to buy from local RFD's they need to give me the basics (like how much and when it will come). I enjoy buying face to face, getting advise, but can only take being ignored for so long.

On a brighter note I've had some great service from Stalking Guides on this forum. They answer the phone and turn up OH.. and give me great opportunities and there valuable experience..

If anyone is near, or can get in the car to, Marlow Bucks, speak to Ryan and Tony at Emmett & Stone...

Don't email them, as there are only 3 of them covering the shop 6 days a week, but they'll always pick up the phone - 01628 474187

Good blokes
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means youíve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I have had similar experience with a number of local shops. I have found a couple of really good helpful shops,swillingtons in Yorkshire and MalmŲ guns at lancaster. Both are one hours drive for me so I try to call when I am in the area. To me they have the time and good stocks , maybe that's why they are successfully. Simple they look after the customer!

Erik it's one of the reasons people load their own - consistency of supply. But you too busy killing deer and driving round to gun shops!
    Besides, nobody wants to reply to an e-mail from McDonalds!
    B

Whenever I read threads like this it always have makes me wonder how some of these Gun Shops/RFDs manage to scratch any sort of a living at all when they treat their customers in such a shoddy and disrespectful way!
    I always use Towers Of Rochdale as nothing ever seems to be too much trouble for the owner Geremy Marshall. Geremy is a mine of reliable advice and information and will spend as much time as needed to get whatever you are asking answered or asort out any problems fully and accurately. If he hasn't got whatever I want in stock he will order it straight away and get it as quickly as he can and then let me know as soon as it has arrived.

There are a few very good RFDs/Gun Shops out there - It's just a matter of finding them!
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 21-09-2015 at 12:48.