gamekeeper's /shepherds spung hill shoes

hillhrerd

Hi any of you guys got a pair size 7-8 spung hill shoes after many years of use my shoes are now finished I've had a look at hoggs of Fife and don't like the look of them I know that this is a long shot but thought I'd give it a try any body got a pair to sell let me know cheers pete

Thanks for sharing the link mylo

I've a pair of hill shoes needing resoled and might even get a new pair of boots.

Hi Pete,

I have various pairs but none to fit you. I've a couple of pairs of Hoggs but they were never as good as my old Goudie boots [company ceased a few years back]. These Lennon boots look to be a lot better and are made to order.

Toying with the idea of a pair of these hill boots. How do they compare with the traditional walking boot design (Scarpa/ Meindl etc) that I'm used to? Would be for Hind stalking on the west coast- am I going to bounce up the hill?

Toying with the idea of a pair of these hill boots. How do they compare with the traditional walking boot design (Scarpa/ Meindl etc) that I'm used to? Would be for Hind stalking on the west coast- am I going to bounce up the hill?

They are heavier and need to be Broken in, remember there isn't a " waterproof liner" so they need cared for, ie leather needs to be treated.
i swear by them but it's a very personal thing, much more comfortable to walk in imo

They do seem a little hairshirt in the 21st Century but I'm not averse to things retro when given of a certain charm.

K

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the link mylo

I've a pair of hill shoes needing resoled and might even get a new pair of boots.

Hi Pete,

I have various pairs but none to fit you. I've a couple of pairs of Hoggs but they were never as good as my old Goudie boots [company ceased a few years back]. These Lennon boots look to be a lot better and are made to order.

That would be Harrison & Goudie Maybole Ayrshire? I remember drawing templates of my feet and sending them down to get my fell boots made, great shame they have gone, won't get a service like that again.

B.

That would be Harrison & Goudie Maybole Ayrshire? I remember drawing templates of my feet and sending them down to get my fell boots made, great shame they have gone, won't get a service like that again.

B.

I also remember having a pair made there, the best pair I ever had though was called the Souter boot horse hide
and made in the borders Galashiels I think it was or possibly Kelso , cost me a weeks wages as a young keeper.

I also remember having a pair made there, the best pair I ever had though was called the Souter boot horse hide
and made in the borders Galashiels I think it was or possibly Kelso , cost me a weeks wages as a young keeper.
Rogersons? They had shops in Gala and Kelso, loads of keeper got shepherd boots and shoes from there, they stopped making their own and started selling the ones made by whites of leeds(?), nothing like the same quality.

Hi any of you guys got a pair size 7-8 spung hill shoes after many years of use my shoes are now finished I've had a look at hoggs of Fife and don't like the look of them I know that this is a long shot but thought I'd give it a try any body got a pair to sell let me know cheers pete
Nelson's Footwear in Settle, North Yorkshire will make you a pair, don't think they're much more expensive than Hoggs, much better quality though.

I've ordered a pair of hill shoes from Lennons about a month ago. My Hoggs ones are just about done after at least 35 years. I wouldn't wear the shoes on the hill because you have to wear them all the time to develope ankle strength....I remember being told by a long dead stalker that he HAD to wear them on the hill...not allowed boots.

I like them ....because they are different....no other reason.

I don't think I would find the boots comfy on the hill after my Meindl's, but the shoes before and after the shoot are great!!

B.

The very ones, I still have a couple of pairs. Great company and real characters. Mine were Horse hide, great boots :)

Probably too comfy for Wainwright...you know what a martyr he was....couldn't possibly have anything that would enhance the fell walking experience ;)

Back