Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .243 and Fallow?

.243 and Fallow?

I know this has probably been done to death, but I can't find anything, I'm now going to hang on to my Sako 75 in .243 as a fox and roe rifle, but would like to hear peoples opinion on .243 for Fallow deer using the right projectile, I am going to buy another .270 at a later date when funds allow, but in the mean time I will only have the .243 at my disposal.
    Thanks Jase.

I have used a .243 with 100gn soft point ammo on Fallow to good effect, but then I usually take most of my Deer at less than 150yards so longer ranges may have a different effect, but I don't see any logical reason why it should, unless you fancy yourself as a long range sniper

.243 and 95 Nosler BT or 85 gr Gameking (and yes before you start banging on, at 3300 fps it is deer legal!)

Good shot placement and as EMcC says at sensible ranges works very well!

In the last 2 years i have shot 468 fallow with a .243 rifle. They are all dead.

Good to hear lads, only need something bigger for Sika and Reds then, not that I get many chances at those two species

Quote Originally Posted by jase kaye View Post
    Good to hear lads, only need something bigger for Sika and Reds then, not that I get many chances at those two species
    sika and reds die too when shot with 6mm bullets, they might run a little but they wont live long. You can place the shot to make them drop in their shadow if you know where to aim (slightly higher than normal shot placement)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterrifles View Post
    sika and reds die too when shot with 6mm bullets, they might run a little but they wont live long. You can place the shot to make them drop in their shadow if you know where to aim (slightly higher than normal shot placement)
    Scottish Reds have all fallen to the mighty .243 by several people I know, and I have taken Sika with it as well.
    It is all to do with sensible ranges and shot placement.

I use a 95gn Remington round in my .243 for all Fallow. They are a bit in short supply at the moment, I have more than enough for my next trip in November but beyond that it might well have to be a change of brand.
    This was a tight squeeze for the chillier the other week..

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

As said - keep it within sensible limits, and it's fine.

95gr Hornady SST works very well.

However - on bigger bucks, if the shot placement is a bit off, they can run a bit. Rear lung shots in particular take a while. I'm now uncomfortable using it on fallow bucks in thick woodland or at last light.