Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 mach 2

17 mach 2

Anybody shooting the 17 mach2?
    I know basically nothing about it in real terms so am hoping for some info here from those who actually use it.

Thanks in advance.

Edd

Account Suspended
    Yes I've got one I use, and basically its between a 22lr and 17hmr.
    I'm afraid it's like all calibers some will love it and some will hate it. What other rf do you use?

In real terms its a bit like having an HMR and choosing to fire it from 60m further away than you need to! I had one for a while but wasn't very impressed. It was very sensitive to the wind, and not suitable for fox. I was learning to live with it when a lad in a local gun shop wanted to buy it and I'm much happier with the HMR I replaced it with. Some folks love them though.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yes I've got one I use, and basically its between a 22lr and 17hmr.
    I'm afraid it's like all calibers some will love it and some will hate it. What other rf do you use?
    Just considering one at the moment. Had hmr,wmr, lr etc all the usual suspects. Called a few rfds and finding ammo prices and availablity might be an issue.

Edd

Looked at it. Its a nice little calibre, but given cost of ammo and ammo availability in the UK I can't see a place for it in preference to a 22 LR. With the 22 LR you can always use High Velocity ammo which does flatten things out a bit. A good article http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_22LR_17M2.htm.

But in the UK the HMR and 17 Hornet seem to be the way to go if you want a fast rabbit and small vermin calibre. But even then, given our tight licensing laws, I would go to a .222 / 223 as it does double duty for small deer and foxes, or indeed a 243 - and if your rabbits are too difficult to get to with a 22 lr, the extra 25 yds that a 17 Mach2 gives won't a lot of difference!!!

What is ammo cost like?

Edd

i think your biggest problem is going to be avalibilty not cost

Quote Originally Posted by jimo View Post
    In real terms its a bit like having an HMR and choosing to fire it from 60m further away than you need to! I had one for a while but wasn't very impressed. It was very sensitive to the wind, and not suitable for fox. I was learning to live with it when a lad in a local gun shop wanted to buy it and I'm much happier with the HMR I replaced it with. Some folks love them though.

Jim
    +1

As I understand it, the mk2 is basically a .22lr round necked down to accept a lighter, more ballistically efficient (but very light) bullet.... I would think that if you need more performance from a Rimfire round then either the standard .17 HMR or the 22wmr would be a better bet.

I wonder why you think a Mach2 would be a better choice than the standard HMR? I can't see the point of it myself but each to their own I guess? I own an HMR and if I was ever forced to change it I would go for something more powerful before something less powerful that's for sure!
    Baguio