17 mach 2

Are people really paying that much for HMR ammo? It's a £10 per box of 50 around here, and has been for years.
I had a Mach2 for a while but found it disappointing. I had some sub MOA groups with it but not consistently in the long run. I went back to HMR where the extra grunt was most welcome, but accuracy was the same.
In the very few places I could find it back in 2009 was paying £5 per box of Eley Mach2, and £9 for Hornady. I found that the Eley ammo was about 100fps faster over a chrono, and more consistent. I did however have a disconcerting rim split that blew the magazine to bits.
As Eley discontinued making Mach2 sometime before 2010, I'd stock up while you still can!

Brilliiant. So it is a ****ing contest then? I bet you go to Elevenerife on your holidays too! :rofl:
Nope and nope
just wondering if you don't have both how you are best placed to comment when directly comparing the two?

more power isn't always the answer to everything
i stopped using the hmr as it was too messy for butcher grade rabbits, too expensive and poor quality ammo, accuracy was less than average (less than ANY centrefire I own) and much noisier
just a handful of reasons I moved to use the m2 more often

OP has also had a wmr, hmr, lr and asked for real info from those "that actually use it"

Only 7 out of 23 posts qualify under those terms..

I hunted with one for about 2 weeks in the form of a custom barreled 96 Ruger. I quickly realized it was too little of a cartridge for my location. The remainder of my time with the 17M2 was spent developing a bolt retarding system that allowed it to be used in the 10/22. After that was done, the barrel hit the mothball rack.~Muir

I have just had a variation approved for HM2 and intend to dedicate it to bunny shooting at night with NV rig. Just got to find/buy a rifle now.

I first used the HM2 in 2003, it was being developed for squirrel shooting, we used ruger 10/22s, a great little round for squirrel and rabbit.

I have been looking for a second hand 17HM2 for a while now, primarily because I have 2000 rounds of remington v-max and no rifle for them.

Last edited:
I first used the HM2 in 2003, it was being developed for squirrel shooting, we used ruger 10/22s, a great little round for squirrel and rabbit.
And these rifles shot them with no issues? Or were they modified? Did you work for Hornady at the time?~Muir?

Last edited:
Back